Sears model 20 for turkey

littlephil

Hello all, I have a Sears model 20 in 12ga with 2 3/4" chamber. It has a fixed full choke and holds a super tight pattern at 25 yards. My question is, would shooting turkey loads through it hurt anything? It's definitely been used throughout its life but it isn't "loose". It locks up and shoots good, but I didn't know if there was any reason to not run turkey loads through it, as I hear a lot of guys talk about "beating up" their guns with certain loads. Thanks for any input you can provide.

your model 20 sears 12ga will kill turkeys with ease, choose a load that patterns well to 30-35 yards,hone your turkey calling skills, use cammo and aim for the neck-head. turkeys have been killed for over 100 years with the standard 12ga shotgun, they don,t have kevlar feathers. i have a good friend who uses a rem pump 20ga and gets his turkey every year at 25 yards or closer. eastbank.

Thanks eastbank, I really had no doubt it would do the job, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt the gun somehow with the turkey loads. In fact, I have a couple 20 gauges that will probably get used if my fiance decides to go. I actually shot a groundhog with my Mossberg 500 20ga and a 3" turkey load. It was at roughly 25 yards and the pattern was about the size of the groundhog. He flipped onto his side, kicked about 3 times, and never moved again. So as long as I can get him in to the decoy, I have no doubt that the guns will do the job. Thanks again for the reply!

You won't shoot enough turkey loads to hurt it. A few thousand and it might shoot loose but your retinas will detach before that.

Lockedcj, that's pretty much what I figured. This one would be a retina killer for sure, it's pretty light for a shotgun. Thanks for the reassurance, looks like I'll be gettin a box or two and trying them out.

Back