Search for specific M1 GARAND

RN45

Inactive
I'm looking for the M1 Garand that my dad carried in the ETO. I know it's very unlikely I'll locate it, but it doesn't hurt to try. Springfield Armory serial number 1590363.

Contact: the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the US Army Ordnance Museum Curator, InterArms, Blue Sky Ordnance, Arlington Ordnance, Numrich Arms, (and any other known importer of surplus Garands), and Fullerton Arms, to determine if any have historical records of that SN passing throught their activity.

May want to have a law-enforcement officer run the SN against the national data-base for stolen firearms or those confiscated. Even a phone call and a well placed letter to the BATF may render leads.

If it came back into the country, there should be an audit trail somewhere. If it stayed overseas as part of a lend-lease or security assistance program, there may not be records except in some deep underground DoD archive.

The worst would be if it were demilled prior to salvage by the CMP or other surplus buyer, as detailed records may not have been maintained for individual weapons by the bulk demilitarization activities.

FAL308,

You're correct, and that name should be used to contact them. However, once he gets down to the business of a search of their archives, the desired documentation would have reflected the name of the old import company. A visit to the good folks at West Hurley, NY will show you a manpower intensive, not yet automated system of parts bins and intimidating quantities of paper archives. Using the old name just helps to define the piles of boxes that would have to be searched...

Back