• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

"Search" Details

boing

I tried a search for posts by member "Dakota Law Dog", with spaces between each word. I got a list of posts made by everyone with "Dakota", "Law", or "Dog" in their name. How can I search for specific phrases, and more than one specific phrase, in one search?

Also, is it possible to search the Member Profiles? I'm looking for people I used to know who might be on the board.

Any other specifics of the "search" function would really increase the value of TFL as a research tool.

-boing

[This message has been edited by boing (edited July 03, 1999).]

Gunslinger emailed me about Dakota Law Dog, and my email reply to him was returned twice, hence this post:

I don't know DLD. I came across his name while searching for something, and since I hadn't seen any posts from him in awhile, I did a search for his name out of curiosity.

The "Family Members on TFL" thread led me to wonder if any long, lost friends were on TFL, and if I could search the profiles for their email addresses. Never mind. I people-searched for them on AltaVista, and they either don't exist, or don't have email. Ergo, moot point.

Anyway, thanks for the note Gunslinger! It was damn thoughtful of you!

-boing

PS- Just a note in advance to say that I know you Admin folks, especially Rich, are indisposed this weekend. I know I'm not being slighted.

I think. :)

[This message has been edited by boing (edited July 04, 1999).]

Boing-
Sorry, I missed this thread. The new release of the software boasts a better search function. I should be uploading it this week.

As for a search of the Member files, it would be neat and I'll pass it along to the developers.
Rich

Back