Sean Connery really is anti-self defense

Jeff Thomas

Probably old news to many, but I was disappointed to confirm that 007 is, ironically (again) anti-self defense / anti-gun.

I noticed in 'Entrapment' some snide comment about a revolver his lady friend brought. Since then I've wondered. While researching for another reason I ran across the following:

March 17, 1997
Sean Connery Speaks Out for Handgun Ban

Sean Connery has lent his voice to anti-gun campaigners in Scotland, who launched a national cinema commercial on Monday calling for the incoming government to place a total ban on handguns. The commercial is part of a push by the Snowdrop Campaign--formed by parents of the sixteen schoolchildren gunned down last year in the Scottish town of Dunblane--before the country's general elections on May 1. The forty-second spot opens with a man loading a .22-caliber handgun. Connery, the original James Bond, says in a voice-over: "It is said a total ban on handguns, including .22s, would take away innocent pleasure from thousands of people." The man in the film then fires several shots at a human-shaped cardboard target. As the camera moves in for a close-up of the gun, Connery says, "Is that more or less pleasure than watching your child grow up?" The film ends with the words: "Remember Dunblane. Ban all handguns." Three weeks ago, legislation was introduced in response to the Dunblane killings that bans private ownership and possession of all pistols and revolvers except the .22.

See http://mrshowbiz.go.com/news/todays_stories/970317/3_17_97_5seanconnery.html .

FWIW. Another one bites the dust ...

I'm running out of acceptable film stars ...

Well, Mr. Connery got his way with the gun ban in Britain. Yet he stars in many violent films. I find that to be rather hypocritical-as I do with all actors who say "ban guns" then turn around and make violent movies, tv shows, etc. I suspect most of us will give up our guns about the time celebreties give up their armed bodyguards.

------------------
If what you know, isn't what you do, then your training is incomplete.

Sad. He was the best 007 of the bunch. WTF is it with actors and such anyhow? Why are they so anti gun, but so pro violence? Eliteism maybe? Or is it just something else? Has the fantasy world just gone to their head or what.

------------------
(!)

Much as I like Connery, his stand here is pretty deplorable. Regardless of personal beliefs, he should research the facts before he becomes anybody's salesman.

I do recall the bearish actor being taken to task for some ill considered remarks some years ago about the need to manhandle women. I think Sean made the comments during the late eighties or early nineties.

Perhaps he likes his women shaken but not stirred?
Jeff

Jeff

Could that be: "Shaken, but not Stey-red"??
wink.gif

B

Back