SD9 Apex trigger and springs or Galloway Prec. ??

kymasabe

I just got a killer deal on an FDE SD9 (not the VE model) with nice black slide.
As everyone has stated on almost every YouTube or online review, the trigger is not great. So, I'm thinking of replacing the trigger with an Apex trigger and replacing the springs with either Apex springs or Galloway Precision springs.
Galloway includes a seer spring and says it's necessary for better trigger feel. Apex says their stuff is engineered to use with factory seer spring and NOT to replace the seer spring.
Not sure what to do.
Has anyone used either of these products and can help guide me in the right direction ??
I'm kinda leaning towards Apex-only parts in this gun, because of their reputation of success with S&W upgrades. However, I put Galloway Precision parts in my Remington RM380 (which I LOVE by the way) and it works great so...don't know what to do. Please help.

I can't speak for Galloway, but I did install the Apex spring kit in my SD9. I did not replace the trigger itself, but just doing the springs made the trigger much smoother. It actually shot much better than I expected!

I just got a killer deal on an FDE SD9 (not the VE model) with nice black slide.
As everyone has stated on almost every YouTube or online review, the trigger is not great. So, I'm thinking of replacing the trigger with an Apex trigger and replacing the springs with either Apex springs or Galloway Precision springs.

Congrats on the SD9!

The trigger "not being so great" is a user preference.

I bought my SD40VE back in spring of 2012. The trigger is designed to have a long pre-travel and heavy break.

In 2016 I decided to finally get the Apex trigger and spring kit installed. For me, I love it. I never needed it before, as I was okay with the factory trigger, but the wife let me have some money to get some mods done.

The only thing I don't like about the pistol is that when you pull back on the trigger (whether stock or aftermarket), there is no stop before the break, like most of the newer striker-fired designs. But I have learned where it breaks.

You won't be disappointed with the upgrade.
- P

I got the Apex trigger on my SD40VE and love it...I purchased the spring kit but put one in wrong and reverted back to the old springs to figure out where I messed up. That is when I decided to just do the trigger and have been happy ever since...

So, I'm resurrecting one of my old posts. Way back when in 2018, I ended up getting the Apex trigger and Apex spring kit. I never could get their trigger to work right, required too much fitting and their safety wouldn't fold out of the way at times and would block trigger travel, so I put the stock trigger back in, and used the Apex springs only. Apex was kind enough to let me return the trigger even though I'd filed it in attempt to fit it . And, the gun's been great, trigger pull is reduced, I dont have a gauge but I'd guess in the 5-6 lb. range.
I bought another SD9 a week or so ago and found myself asking the same questions I did 4 years ago.
So, this time I'm going with Wesbaun springs and the Galloway Precision trigger.
I'll report how it goes later in the week when the parts arrive.
Update...I may be rethinking my spring choice, just read about some light strikes with Wesbaun springs, and I've never had a problem with my Apex springs, may have to order another spring kit.
Does price reflect quality? Wesbaun is $15, Mcarbo is $20, Apex is $25 and Galloway is $35.

Last edited:
Wesbaun's springs arrived, the instruction sheet was some cheesy photocopy of the product card, with a little bag of springs stapled to the corner. Looked like some basement bootleg junk, not like a product from a company that has pride in their product. But, the Mcarbo springs arrived and they're great. They were a good choice, I left the stock trigger in the gun and it works great, trigger pull is definitely lighter. Quality is easily equal to my Apex spring kit in my other SD9, possibly better.

Last edited:
Well, I have brand new never-installed Wesbaun SD9 springs that a fellow member can have for free if ya' want them. Message me directly and I'll throw them in an envelope for you. I won't trust my life to them, but you're certainly welcome to them if you want to tinker with them.

I tossed the pig tail spring and installed one reduced power spring I got from some guy with a YouTube video. It was years ago, but it has a nice pull now. Very accurate 40 also, shoots right to point of aim. Only 40 I own and wouldn’t sell it because I could never replace it for the little bit I have in it.

Back