SD loads .38 snub

1911A1 fan

For years I have used +p 158gr swc-hps for my S&W mod. 36. Now I really don't keep up with loads for the .38 but 15 years ago this load was rated the best you could get. But how about some of the new stuff out there? Any one have some thing new that will top it?

Federal Nyclads are considered pretty much the non plus ultra for short-barreled .38 Special revolvers. They deliver very uniform and rapid expansion. Personally, I like Winchester +P Silvertips for my .38 needs. Bullet designs with alternate (aluminum or nylon) jacket materials seem to expand better out of snubbies than regular JHP designs.

I have had excellant performance with Cor-Bon 125gr defensive .38spec. So that's what I carry in my snubbies.

Sam.........corrected some of the spellin.

Last edited:
I have a mid-70's vintage model 36 and I have been worried about shooting +p since its a J frame. Are my worries unwarrented? Would a few boxes of +p hurt anything? :confused:

I have had excellant performance with Cor-Bon 125gr devensive .38spec. So that's what I carry in my snubbies.

That is what I use too. Does anyone know the expansion rate of the Cor Bon 125 grain +P from a 2.25" barrel? My understanding is that most bullets have trouble expanding from short barrels...

I am currently loaded up with 158gr +p LSWHCHP of the Remington variety. My understanding is you do get pretty good expansion with this round. I tested Corbon in my snubby and experienced hard primers and sporadic accuracy, mre like a pattern than a grouping.

My vote goes for the Federal Ny-clads. Light recoil, good expansion, and the most accurate round I've found so far in my snubby.

According to all reports I can find - - -

- - -The 158 LSWCHP is still the champion .38 snub load. It is a true +P and WILL expand somewhat, even from a 1-7/8 inch barrel. Both Remington and Winchester make it, and I've heard of a similar offering from Federal, though I haven't seen any.

Many who are particularly recoil sensitive, or who are leery of this heavy a load DO like the Federal 125 Nyclad. It is a good, clean load, but, for some reason, is loaded rather lightly. Therefore, it is somewhat spotty about expansion. But it is easier to shoot well, and one is better off with an accurate load and precise placement than with something of which they're frightened. (No flame here--There are handgun/load combinations that scare the fool out of me.)

I've heard similar reports of the Cor-Bon being erratic in revolvers. Also, while the really high intensity CB load isn't too bad in a medium-to-full size handgun, the muzzle blast and flash is pretty terrific in a snub. And other companys' 110 and 125 gr. .38 Spl loads usually have superior velocity, but NOT enough to make up for the much lighter bullet.

The 158 LSWCHP is controlable, with practice, by most people who can really shoot a .38 snub. I believe that a stead diet of these would shake an alloy frame revolver loose before long. For this reason, I practice with either wadcutter target loads or light .38 loads in my Airweight Chief and my alloy Colt. But both of these stay loaded with the 158 LSWCHP. They are tools, after all, and if I need to fire a cylinderful to save my life, or that of another, then so be it. They WILL NOT blow up the alloy guns--only make 'em wear much faster.

This is also a superior load for other .38 Spl revolvers, and for the first round or two in a .357 revolver. House guns for me, both my sons and my ex-wife are loaded with this cartridge. (Elder son took two javelinas back to back with it, in his six-inch Colt. Both one-shot stops. Not BIG animals, but very tenacious.)

This is as near an ideal all-around .defensive load for the .38 as I've found. And I've done a LOT of research. Adequate power, but still controlable. Low flash, medium noise, and highly accurate. Your findings may vary, but it is my choice.

Best,
Johnny.

The other side of the story is point of impact versus point of aim. The biggest problem I have in fixed sight defense guns is making sure that at adequate ranges (7Y for my handguns) my point of aim and point of impact are the same.

In the 3 or 4 fixed sight revolvers floating aroung the family, the 158 LSWCHP +P round hits the POI/POA.

My Mom's Coly DS hits POI/POA with her sight picture and 125 Nyclads.

My Colt DS throws Nyclads or any other 125 way low - like 6 inches at 7y.

Test your load, make your choice!

Giz

I prefer the 158 +P LSWCHP primarily because of its reputation, and the fact that of all the defense loads I have tried, it is the most consistent grouper(in my case).

Zane

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Well, it sounds as if the 158 +P is still King of the Hill! If I ever start to carry anything but a steel frame, I will look into the lighter stuff like the NYclads. Thanks one and all!:)

RECOMMEND

Federal 38 Special 129g Hydra-Shok from 'snubbies'; if 357 variety suggest CorBon 110g JHP or R-P 125g JHP full-power.

Or.....(natch)

Back