SD ammo

hubris

Was in big box sporting goods store this weekend. Zero SD ammo available in .45 or 9mm. Wasn't the first time. Anyone else seeing this lately?

I've not been particularly looking for SD ammo lately, but the last time I was at Cabela's in Louisville (about a month or so ago) they seemed to have plenty of it in most of the popular calibers. Honestly, depending on the caliber, I often have more trouble finding lower-cost range ammo than I do premium JHP's.

very rarely do I not see a full-shelf of the expensive stuff. that is kinda odd. any big-box store around here has whatever $1+ plus pistol ammo you could want, the cheaper stuff can still be difficult in certain popular calibers.

Not at all. I live directly between a Sports Academy and a Bass Pro.

I will complain that you do not have your location on your profile or mention it in your thread. Things like this could depend on where you are.

for numerous reasons, many of which are explained in great detail on Pax's website, you should use good hollow point ammo for self defense. ball ammo is for target practice.

I haven't seen any of the quality SD loads for anything but 45 Colt at my local Walmart in probably a year now, but my local Cabela's and Dunham's always have plenty in stock.

It's all SD, but you need enough hollow points to alternate with the ball ammo.

Never know when you might be shooting through walls.

;)

Seems to be plenty of both around here (Minnesota).

Right.
I've always thought if the ammo got the job done and stopped the psycho with the chain saw from removing your head, it qualified as self defense ammo.
Wonder how all those evil doers got stopped before hollow points were invented. :confused:
No reason to walk around with an empty gun just 'cause there's no hollow points available.

Last edited:
All my big box stores, save Walmart, have a decent selection of SD ammo. I go to my LGS because 1) They always have my choice in SD ammo, HST's or Gold Dots and 2) I want my LGS to stay in business.

Most of the stores around here have plenty of SD 9mm ($0.80-1.20 ea.) and .45 ($0.90-1.40 ea.) in many varieties except for my personal favorite, Speer GDHP. Reasonably priced target ammo is still hit or miss, though.

The generally accepted Holy Triumvirate (HST, Gold Dot, Win Ranger) seem to be tough to find in stores, but I can find more than adequate SD ammo at my local Cabelas. And of course the online market trumps everything. You just have to do a little research. :D

Back