Sculptures fabricated from melted guns

Some artist around San Francisco wants people to turn their guns in to him so that it may be used to sculpt art. It's suppose to be symbolic of the "swords to plowshares" stuff. He especially wants semi-automatic military lookalike firearms.

Well, that's fine and dandy and dumb.

My issue goes along the legal lines. In Calif., transfer of ownership must go through a dealer. If people are turning guns over to him directly, then the artist is in violation of the law. Further, if any firearm is on CA's 1989 assault weapon ban, he should be in big trouble. Why isn't the police or District Attorney protecting us from the menace to society?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I too, am creating sculptures and whatnot from assault rifles. If anyone would like to donate AK's, AR's, and particularly HK's (I'm making a MP-5 collage with a few MP-5SD's as the centerpiece), it would be of great help.
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this, "artist" is pulling, although illegal, a politically correct manuever. Hang legality, this is my freedom of expression!

Now there's an angle. I'm no longer a gun owner, I simply own a few projectile paint brushes.

I myself have been thinking about melting some guns down to make fish sinkers. All donations are excepted however I prefer first generation Colt Single Action Armies and S&W "N" frames since they tend to make the best sinkers. Just send them to me and I'll melt them down. Honest.
wink.gif

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Hey! It might NOT be illegal. He could be getting the guns AFTER the police have "properly" (grrr) ensured these weapons of destruction are non-functioning so at least one American child might be saved. (GRRR!)

If he wants to make a politically correct statement, I mean REALLY correct, he should make a statue of a Minuteman, with no rifle, of course. This emblem of American heroism should be on his knees, in handcuffs and chains, with his head bowed, and tears flowing down his emotionally tortured face.
I'll quit here.
Angry Grump!

So who wants these Galesi's, rossi's, and Jenning's and lorcins.......Id think theyd be good sculpture material or boat anchor..stuff..fubsy

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited June 06, 1999).]

Back