screws on left side of rem 788 receiver

dwwscran

Inactive
I know the basic history and attributes of the Remington 788 bolt action rifle. I have even read most of the theories for it's demise. What the heck are the to small screws located on the left side rear of the receiver for? they are just visible above the stock line. my only guess is that they are used for a side mounted scope mount.

Scope mounts like that were long gone by the time of the 788, everything was d&t for top mounts. But they were still providing for receiver sights, although that eventually faded out.

How about a peep sight?

How about a peep sight?
I have seen many rifles with holes in this location and about the same CTC spacing, to accomodate a peep sight. Now the next problem would be to find out who makes a peep sight for a 788, that would confirm it's application. ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I didnt even think of peep sights. I may be checking my shooters bibles from that time period to see who made them. Thanks guys

Lyman, Redfield, and Williams were the main receiver sight makers in those days. Redfield dropped out of the iron sight market to concentrate on scopes.
Lyman still makes a few models, but if you want one for your 788, it looks like a Williams Foolproof is about it.

Back