Screwdrivers and books for 58 Rem?

GolfGuy

I hate to monoplize the forum like this but I have a million questions. I mentioned in another post than I'm desperately in need a good set of gunsmith srewdrivers (I'm dying to tear down my gun) and a book on the 58 Remington but I thought I'd start a new thread for this topic.

I found this set on line: http://www.shootersmart.com/site/Library/display/?prodid=36532

It looks like a decent set to me but it mentions that it is sized for Colt, S&W and Ruger, it doesn't mention Remington but I'm assuming that it should suffice. But my concern is that since these reproductions are made in Europe that the screws may be of a different size, i.e. metric and the screwdrivers for these American made guns might not fit as well?

Does anyone know of a good set for the Remington repros or is this set good?

Also, I am looking for a good book on the 58 Remington or a good book on cap & ball guns in general that covers the 58 Rem in pretty good detail. One that discusses the intracacies of these guns and what to tweak and how to tweak it etc... also how to disassemble and reassemble, I could problay figure that out but I have knack for not being able to get something back together after I tear into it.

Thanks all!

My screwdriver set is B-Square. It has 29 different magnetized bits for the handle and has worked fine on all my guns. I gave $20.00 for it at Bass Pro. I know there are several other makers. I think any set as long as it's advertised as being a gunsmith screwdriver set would be just fine. Midway or Brownells would be a starting place to look on line.

I see on another thread that your book question has been taken care of by mec.

Steve

I have a set of Chapman MFG. Screwdriver for gunsmithing and they work very well has a handle, a shaft that is removeable from the handle and 25 different tips and...a rachet that fits the tips or the shaft.(it also works on my Lyman 450 Luber/Sizer). I believe the set at a gunshow cost $25-$30.00 It has one flat screwdriver tip that is perfect for the hand screw on a '58 Rem. So far a blade to match every screw on the Remmy's

Last edited:
The B-Square also has about a 1/8 blade that fits the Rem hand screw. I've used it. Perfect. As Steve says, 20 bucks, but I got mine at Gander Mountain, a few miles from me.

So you got Bass Pro, which might be close to you, you got Gander Mouintain, which might be close to you. Then you got Cabela's, which also might be close to you. They might not carry B-Square, but their set would most likely be of the same quality.

Go to any of the stores mentioned, ask what they got, buy what you like.

BUT, you do need a good set to not bung up the screws. And, any set that will fit Colt and Smith, or Parker-Hale, will fit the Rem.

Cheers,

George

My first set was the Chapman. $40 is too much to spend and you can get the Chapman or the Chinese made Wallymart one (with the Pachmayr label) for half the price.

Back