Screaming Deer...

CD1

I'm sure that like myself, plenty of others have spooked deer and had them scream..WHAAA! I've seen it with doe. Do bucks scream as well? My impression was that only doe scream, but thats just an impression. No factual basis. Some observation supports it, but the buck to doe ratio here is so screwed up that doe are about all I ever see, so my data could be skewed. Any one else have an idea about this?

We usually call it "blowing", and yes bucks do it to. Startles the crap out of me every time, especially when they sneek up behind me.

whats a real hoot is to sneak up on a whitetail and snort at them

i have gotten them to curriously look about for the new deer in the woods

i had a Ybuck walk with in 20 feet of me one year, while i was sitting on a big log

i whistle/snorted at him and he stopped and looked and looked,
then flicked his tail and walked off

if i am feeling real mischievous off season, i have been know to give deer bigfoot sightings

you think they run when they see people?
:D

I've heard does "bleat" when surprised and have heard them do it continually when wounded. Never heard a buck bleat (even if wounded), but have heard them grunt a lot. The "blow" sound isn't really a vocalization, just a snort through the nose.

It was several years ago when I was out deer hunting. I was sitting on a high ridge in the Sandhills. There was a clearing in front of me with a 30 ft tree line that followed the contours of the fenceline behind that. Anyway---a doe with 2 fawns ( they still had the spots on em) came to the clearing---the doe quickly went back into the treeline while the fawns played in the clearing----I sat and watched them for at least a half hour and the last 10 minutes or so the doe senced something was up---she made this sound that pretty much sounded like a cat howling. The fawns still didn't go back to mama until I stood up and spooked them on purpose.

I had a crippled buck get his front legs under him and the sound he made is best described as a sort of roar. Not as low a note as a bull, but certainly no bleat. He tossed his head as though he would gore me if he could get to me. A bit spooky.

Art

A snort almost always seems to stop a buck dead in its tracks for a second or two. If you're well hidden a second may even bring them closer.

Back