scratch in blued revolver

JoeSF

I put a nice fine 2 inch long scratch on the barrel of my blued revolver. Is there anything to touch it up with or will I be living with a truly personalized gun?

You can try Black Magic by Kleen Bore from most gun shops, or Formula 44/40 gun blue from Brownells #082-440-002

Joe, 44/40 is good stuff! I have found that it works best if I completely remove any oil or grease from the surface in question...and I don't know of anything that is cheaper or more effective as a degreaser than acetone or lacquer thinner.

I once screwed up the finish of the Long Rifle cylinder for my Super Single-Six, but I used 44/40 to reblue it, and you'd never know it by looking at it. It took three tries to get it right, but it worked!

Thanks guys. I'll try it out. Its a real fine scratch it took the blue off. Really appreciate the advice.
Joe

Is Birchwood-Casey any better compared to the other products mentioned on this thread? Thank you.

WilDJ...I doubt it. BUT, I keep several cold blue solutions around because different steels seem to want to work best with particular solutions. By and large, though, 44/40 is the best. In my OPINION.

Back