Scrap Metal Yard

TXGunNut

A new scrap metal place just opened up a little ways down the road. Hope he gets lots of scrap lead in. Striking out at tire shops, even the dealership I work for.

As it turns out there is a member of the other forum who lives near by and he set me up with quite a bit of lead with an open invitation to get more. He has a few 55 gallon drums full of the stuff, plus I am working on the side at a repair shop where we also do tires. So I have quite a bit of lead. The only thing I might could use more of is soft lead for my black powder gun.

Our local recycler has a barrel but you can tell it gets picked through. Seems the thing to do here is melt down weights into ingots then re-sell them for a minimal profit. There are also scroungers that pick up every piece of brass they can find and turn it in for scrap. Very annoying.

I would but I don't want to take advantage of my free source. The shop I work at has barely produced a 3 gallon bucket of unsorted weights in the past 6-9 months.

have any of you guys tried buying backstop sweepings from indoor ranges? Not great lead, but if you throw a 20 pound batch of used bullets in with some wheel weights, you get a fairly good alloy.

If your ranges allow only jackted bullets, you're screwed pretty good as cores of jacketed bullets are usually soft.

Watch for unfired ammo in those sweepings:eek:

Don`t ask how I know !! I now have a lid on when rendering range lead ;)

But we do as we must for our lead fix !!!

Back