Scout scope rings for 1892 Alaskan

popawoody

Inactive
Gents –

I wonder if any of you Firing Line smithys can give me some advice. I have a Taylor's (Chiappa) 1892 Alaskan Takedown in .44 Magnum. It has quite a nice set of Skinner peep sites, but my aging eyes are starting to beg me to put a scope on it. The scope would be long eye relief, mounted forward in "scout rifle" configuration.

I could use some advise on the scope, but my primary concern is mounting it. The octagonal barrel is drilled in what the folks at Skinner call an "old Weaver pattern". The hole spacing for each of the rings is .860". I've not been able to track down a set of rings that will mount directly on an octagonal barrel with that spacing. I could have a piece of Picatinny rail cut and drilled and use Picatinny rings, but I'd prefer to avoid the weight and bulk. I assume that someone does make direct mount rings. The Taylor's web site shows the rifle with a scope (perhaps a Burris) mounted on what appear to be direct mount rings. I've measured the drill pattern and confirmed it with Skinner. I put a drawing, along with some stock images of the rifle, on the web here: http://www.concanon.com/alaskan/.

Any idea what I can do for rings for this thing? Thanks!

The reason scope bases exist is so that all the possible hole spacings and contours don't have to be duplicated in every possible height and size of rings.

It may be possible to find direct mount rings, but it will be a challenge. Weaver bases are made from aluminum and hardly weigh anything. Find some flat bottom bases in the spacing you need and mount some rings on it.

Back