Scout Scope Question

HarryB

Ashley just came out with an ingenious forward mounted scope base for the Marlin lever actions. I plan on ordering one. As for a scope I need to know why I need the Burris or Leupold "Scout" type optics. Wouldn't a handgun scope provide the necessary eye relief? I have a great 1.5 T/C from a Contender and a Leupold 2X. I am more than willing to buy a specialty item if necessary.

Pardon my ignorance, but as a former teacher I know there are no stupid questions, only stupid people :)

[This message has been edited by HarryB (edited March 25, 2000).]

I love the little Leupold 2x pistol scope. Order the mount- I hear good things about it.

The Leupold scout scopes have eye relief adjusted for an "over the front action ring mounting" and therefore have less eye relief than a pistol scope. Same with the Burris Intermediate Eye Relief "IER" scopes.

So it depends on how far out on the barrel you want the scope. If you have to get the dedicated scout scope, they're not too expensive and well worth the money...

I'm a big fan of the Scout Scope, and also a big fan of the Marlin GG. I own several Scout Scopes and use them on several rifles, I also own a Marlin GG and carry it on regular basis - I live in Alaska, in big bear country.
However, I don't think putting the Scout Scope on the Guide Gun is that great an idea.
The Guide Gun simply doesn't have the range to require a scope. The GG gun is designed to be a short range, defensive weapon - a scope is just something that can go wrong. The scope caps will be on at the wrong moment, the glass will be wet, the range may be so short that you end up shooting blind - lots to go wrong.
Replace the factory iron sights with one of the good "peep" styles on the market and you'll have a much more rugged and practical rifle in hand. It'll still give you practical accuracy out to 150 or 200 yards - the maximum range of the rifle.
If you have some vision defect that requires you to have a scope, then go with the Leupold. Its rugged and designed specifically for rifles. You can't go wrong.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Actually Keith the GG is going to be used primarily for hunting, thus the possibility of using a scope for better shot placement and target recognition. If used in a camp or other situation where the action may be up close and fast the scope would be off. I did just mount the Ashley sights but could get away to try them out.

I am primarily interested in mounting a scope because I can, the Ashely mount looks like a winner, so lets see what happens...

Harry,

I've used a Leupold Scout Scope on a Ruger #1 for several years, though it has the Burris base. I've taken shots as far as 300 yards with it and had perfect bullet placement - I will NEVER go back to the standard 3X9 hunting scopes after using this. I think you'll be 100% satisfied with the scope.
My only objection is that with the limited range of the GG, I don't think a scope is indicated. Of course I hunt in very open country, I might feel differently if I was hunting in dark timber someplace where a scope brightened the scene somewhat.

Before you buy an Ashley - check out www.wildwestguns.com for their GG/Scout Scope mount. Its a very rugged affair that is being used by Alaskan guides.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Here is my marlin 1894 with the Wild west scope mount. It is quick release and return to zero.
1894.jpg

Sorry, but the T/C is not for sale. Got the mount and it looks great. Doesn't really look too odd without a scope. Hope to give it a try this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ajacobs:
Here is my marlin 1894 with the Wild west scope mount. [/quote]

Shouldn't that be "Here is my Marlin 1894 with Wild West Co-Pilot Modifications including Jim West's propriatory Scope Mount" ? ;) ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Tried to unscrew my Marlin GG when i saw that picture - duh! didn't work :D
BTW the Ashley ghost ring on the Marlin is a very good arrangement, with the 45/70's useful range. On the other hand, not a purist , even though a lever "Scout" may not look 'right' it fits part of the concept.

Back