Scout scope for an M1 Garand?

BluRidgDav

I bought an Ultimak Scout Scope Rail for my M1 Garand. It was slightly lighter and lower over the barrel than the Amega rail.

Now I'm looking for a scope and trying to decide between the Leupold 2.5x28 and the Burris 2.75x20 Scouts. Both are fairly lightweight: 7.5 and 7.0 ounces respectively, but, the info about their eye relief is presented differently?

Leupold advertises a single eye relief of 9.3 inches, while Burris posts a range of eye relief from 8.5-14 inches. So, is Leupold's number the middle of their range, or the short-end? Either way, what would be the approximate range of eye relief?

Thanx, Dave

Burris

Either way, what would be the approximate range of eye relief?
All things being equal, that would be a no-brainer for me. What is the cost comparison. My compliments, on your taste. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

The Burris scout costs $237 and the Leupold is $255-285 depending on if I get to use a coupon or not? That's not enough of a difference to matter to me.

I would prefer to buy the Leupold, because the field of view is larger 22' vs 15' for the Burris. But, having enough eye-relief is a MUST have, while the other considerations are only nice-to-haves.

By the way, PWC, the Leupold Phone Rep told me a fuzzy "about plus or minus 2 inches". So if true, that equals 7.3-11.3 inches of eye relief.

The design of the M1 Garand requires that any scope be placed further forward than a similar bolt-action scout (like a Ruger). My best estimate is that I'm gonna need at least 11 inches of eye-relief and 12"+ would probably be better.

Does anyone actually have a scout scoped M1 Garand? Which scope did you use? And how did that work out?

Thanx, Dave

I have one, ultimak mount with a REALLY CHEAP Leatherwood Hi-Lux ATR Long Eye Relief Scout Rifle Scope 2-7x 32mm in Warne 1" Maxima Quick-Detachable Weaver-Style Rings.

You can Google the scope and should be able to find out the eye relief. I can tell you it is not enough above about 4X.

I'm deep in the bifocal age, and I swear by the setup. I would also love to have a better scope to really take advantage of the set up.

Last November I had it out and was banging steel at 250+ yards with abandon off hand. And I suck as a marksman.

Back