Scout Scope and left eye dominant?

Matrix

Here's a question for you Scout shooters:
The scout sighting system is intended to be used with both eyes open, as one would aim a shotgun. This works well if, as most people are, right eye dominant and shoot right handed. What about the person that is "cross dominant", that is shoots right handed and has a left dominant eye? Can the shooter still keep both eyes open? If any of you have experienced this, I'd appreciate your observations. What happens?

Eric, that's exactly what I do. I never have been good with a shotgun for this reason.
Someone told me that this was not an issue with the scout sighting system, and that anyone, cross dominant eye or not, could shoot with both eyes open. I was skeptical, but wanted to hear it from others.

Or you could change the setup.
Loosen the rings so the scope can be moved.
cant the rifle inward until the scope is lined up with your firing eye. Adjust the scope so the crosshairs are squared and leveled with your new hold. Tighten the rings back and practice some more.
This can be done easily for bench shooters and other competitions... doing this for a Scout may or may not work for you as a Scout is a rifle to be carried and mounted upon the need to fire.
Give it a try and see if this would work for you.

------------------
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings; they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Some guesswork: With iron sights, we know it's a problem; many folks have discussed this issue, here.

With the scope, there is no alignment of rear sight, front sight and target. If the target is centered in the crosshairs, the alignment is correct--pull the trigger.

I guess I'll have to get off my butt and grab a rifle and mount it to my left shoulder and see if my guesswork is anywhere near correct.

Shucks, let's ALL try it, and quit guessing! (One test is worth a thousand expert opinions...or a million not-so-expert opinions.)

:), Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited April 13, 2000).]

Okay. Got off my butt. Tried my scoped rifle on the "wrong" side, with both eyes open. Initially, it was weird. Just really didn't work for me, since I'm so used to my regular right-eye, right side style. I couldn't readily get my left eye lined up if both eyes were open. Maybe, just maybe, I could learn, but it wouldn't be easy. I'm talking a fairly quick mount-and-shoot type of deal.

So if you're left-eyed and a right-handed rifleman, I think life might be better if you close your left eye...

Anybody else tried it?

Later, Art

Well, Erick, I remember a fella who said, "Trust, but verify". :) But, my fault for not giving credit where credit was due.

Regards, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited April 15, 2000).]

Back