scout concept on 1903a3?

fubsy

I was checking out a friend's 1903a3 today and every time I heft one of those Im amazed at the weight and the mauser copied action, so what do ya think....would this rifle be a good base for a scout concept....has the magazine cut off, its light, fires an adequate round...30-06,,,,,just kicking the idea around so ya'll come kick with me....fubsy.

Hey, I'll kick that one around with you...

The Springfield Scout will be heavy. The action itself is heavy. Too heavy for a true scout. Some call rifles built up on the Springfield action a "pseudo-scout". Put a 20" light contour barrel on it and a good synthetic stock with an adequate rounded recoil pad and you're looking good...

You might experiment with the Ruger quarter rib on the barrel and low Ruger rings. First class is the pedastals built into the barrel... expensive.

You already have a protected peep and if you could get a good barrel band sight with a POST and not a silly bead, your irons are taken care of.

The Springfield can be beaten off a brick wall and still come up shootin'- not too much to go wrong with this gun. Large (for a bolt gun) mag capacity, stripper clip, and the fore mentioned cutoff are bonuses...

By the way, I saw a Springfield Scout built up by Gunsite with pedastal mounts and bead blast blue looked really nice- $2600 nice...

DeBee,
Ill get back over there next week and check all that out you mentioned but I thought the rifle was light for me....could be im to use to those garands......glad to hear that someone has done it, but im not paying anyone $2600 for a rifle, not even steyer.....fubsy.

Had a 03A3 with a sporter stock and a Lyman target peep about a decade ago, and set it up for kinda like the Scout concept. A coupla things.....

First, accuracy was acceptable, well inside 2" at 100 yards with the peep sight.I did the trigger and glassed the action, freefloating the bbl,etc, to make its zero rock steady and unmoving. A mess of stripper clips was purchased at a gun show,and I loaded up about 100 rounds of a pet load and began to try it out.

Second, it was lots heavier than it needed to be. Never weighed it, but estimated it to run close to what an M-14 does, something I've experience carrying/using.

Third, while the weight and balance was not perfect,I did run a course or two with it with OK results. Good snap shooting out to 75 yards offhand and further with positions.

Fourth, for the mission, strippers were OK but some loose ammo was a good idea to top off with.

Fifth, the mil spec sturdiness of the 03A3 meant reliability under stress conditions.

Summation, while the weight can be dealt with(Synthetic stock, lighter contour bbl), IMO it just should be lived with if possible.
The 03A3 does not make up a good Cooper style Scout, but it does make a superlative field rifle for rough conditions and a wonderful survival tool.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave McC:

but it does make a superlative field rifle for rough conditions and a wonderful survival tool.
[/quote]

Dave thats my thoughts exactly, thats why I posted what I did about 3 or 4 days ago in the thread of Sniper rifles. I am not going to re-post it because of the length but if interested check it out.

------------------
Carlyle

Im still kicking it around.....I went back today and looked at it and mentioned what I had in mind and my friend, flat out told me that he wasnt gonna sell me a rifle in that pristine a condition and have me do that to it........I hate it when he's right..lol....but I will be on the look out for a sporterized version and then will see.
...the weight was more than I had thought, im gonna have to weigh one of these things......tks for tips....fubsy.

I recall Col. Cooper talking about his daughter's psuedo scout. I believe hers was based on the 03-A3. So what? Well he pretty much put them on the map and into shooter's minds.

DID Y'all see the M1a "scout" Springfield is putting out... wieghs bout' ten pounds aversge accuracy was 3.7" @100 Yards :rolleyes:

If Springfeild can pull that then you should be able to "Scouterize" any decent rifle!! That ol' 03 sounds like it will run rings around some more modern examples...

I PROPOSE another HERESY :eek: !
I will "scouterize" my neet little MAS-36 French Rifle in .308! How's that for a cheap suggestion! It will likely be within the wieght/hight "Requirements the ol' Cooper calls for...

Peace
IZZY :cool:

Fubs, there's many tricks to reducing weight in a sporterized version. One simple one is to shorten the forend tip, then use an electric drill to hog out wood under the butt plate, keeping the balance where it belongs.

Also,there's not many unmodified Springfields out there, if it's the way it came from the factory, please leave it alone.

And, yes, I've seen "Scout" rifles built on M-1A actions,etc. They might be excellent weapons, but they're not Scouts...

Dave,
Yep im sure there is always things that can be done......I primarily am looking for a forward mounted scope. My eyesight will most likely deteriorate enough that in a few years my shooting at distance will absolutely require optics. As for it being a scout as defined by Col. Cooper, most likely it will be to heavy and too long. For me it might be just fine. I have a tendency to like the FDR concept more than I like the Scout concept, both use forward mounted scopes, the basic difference is action type. Im not that concerned with weight att...and both the scout and the fdr concepts would work for me. Simply, I just like to shoot, different guns, different calibers, different actions, different combinations, different courses. I wont destroy a fine and unique american firearm to "create" my version of anything....I will look for a "customized" 1903a3 and resurrect it to what I want....tks for the info...fubsy.

I find the springfield to be a fine gun just as it is. The weight of the barrel and factory wood work helps to steady off hand shooting. My 03A1 model will shoot 1 1/2 inch all day at 100yds off the bench with the factory sights. Any original is a grand old rifle that deserves to be used as is as real men used to use them.

Close to 40 years ago, I took my first buck with an 03. Owned a plethora of centerfire bolt actions since then, including another 03. I find the 03 is oneheckuva rifle,scout or otherwise.

The Scout concept requires light weight, since one may have to cover lots of ground with it.I've never quite understood the need for the forward mounted scope. Peep sights ar lighter and serve well at reasonable yardages.

Dave,
thats why there's apples and oranges....i too like peeps, but like i said as my eyes deteriorate I wont be able to get a crisp picture on the front sight, it might require a longer sight radius for iron sights.........fubsy.

While I can appreciate the forward-mounted scope concept, I agree that it should not be done to this classic and growing scarcer rifle. (I was going to add one of my infrequent curses until I saw your friend said the same thing! :))

Back about 30 years or so ago, Sako built its "Forrester" with a 19" barrel, the short action, and a full Mannlicher stock. I bought one, and discovered the stock was not one piece; it was two! Joined at the front barrel band. It shot vertical strings.

So, I threw away the barrel band, removed the front sight, cut the main stock back a bit to get rid of the unsightly front end and weighed it.

With a 2-1/2 X 8 Leupold, five rounds, and a sling, it hits seven pounds. Sounds good to me!

I think they made them in .308...

The stock is fairly dense walnut, so one of Mr. McMillan's lightest could maybe save a half-pound. There are lighter scopes. The magazine shroud could be skeletonized. Etc. and so forth and so on...

If you found a .243, but were adamant about the .308, well, skinny barrels are available...

But I'm real happy with 3/8" groups out this antiquated sporter...

:), Art

Art, Yep I know what ya mean, probably the finest bolt rifle I ever owned was made by brno in 30-06, with a finely tapered barrel and very good iron sights, it was suprisingly light for a full size rifle. The finish was incredible, I sold it because i didnt want to drill and tap that fine rifle. Well today that length would most likely work with my eyesight, Id also have it drilled and tapped today...lol...fubsy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fubsy:
I was checking out a friend's 1903a3 today and every time I heft one of those Im amazed at the weight and the mauser copied action, so what do ya think....would this rifle be a good base for a scout concept....has the magazine cut off, its light, fires an adequate round...30-06,,,,,just kicking the idea around so ya'll come kick with me....fubsy.[/quote]

I have a hard time equating the my 1903-A3 and the term "light". :) I think the 03-A3 without any scope or sling weighs more than the 6 or so pounds that is tossed around as the ideal weight of a "scout" rifle.

Art, a guy I knew long ago had one of those in 308,and loved it. With a Weaver K3, it was nigh the perfect eastern whitetail rifle, in his opinion,and definitely a contender in mine.

We were all discovering the joys of glass bedding in those days,I believe he full length bedded that one.Few folks got MOA from hunting rifles, that we knew anyway, but he came close with handloads...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave McC:

We were all discovering the joys of glass bedding in those days,I believe he full length bedded that one.Few folks got MOA from hunting rifles, that we knew anyway, but he came close with handloads...
[/quote]

Oh yes the glass bedding :D!! Many years ago when I acquired my 03A3 (4 groove) I decided to sporterize it. First i had to draw file the whole thing because of the tool marks, then polished it had it blued, and then loped 1 1/2 inch off the barrel to right behind the dovetail for the front sight, then had my father crown it on his trusty South Bend lathe. Next step was to acquire a bolt that had the handle altered for a socpe......had a friend check the head space and it was just as good as the original bolt. Well, I then acquired a Fajan stock and not knowing a damn bit better proceeded to relieve and glass bed the WHOLE damn thing :o. Action, barrel, even the trigger guard. I must have used a can of the old Johnsons wax to keep the action, barrel, etc. from sticking to the glass bed. Well lo and behold with a load of the fine 190 grain Sierra Match Kings on top of a full case of the "original" H-4831 loaded on an old Lee Loader for the 30-06 the thing shot into well less than 1" at 100 yards with the Weaver K-4 I had mounted on it. Needless to say I have yet to change a thing about it. sometimes ignorance is bliss! I have no doubt that if I knew back then (early 60's) that if you were supposed to free float the barrel I would have done it and maybe it would never have shot as well as it does. I did learn one thing from that ..............don't argue with success.

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited April 11, 2000).]

Back