SCOTUS rules Sandy Hook victims families can sue Remington

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ45

This was reported on Fox

Total Bull (expletive)...the kid steals the gun from his mom and somehow Remington is to blame?

This in inexplicable !

It is nonsense. No one is suing the alcohol companies for all the misery they have caused with drunk driving deaths... not to mention the vehicle manufacturers.

Maybe the oil companies should be sued for whenever someone uses gasoline to commit arson.

SCOTUS stands for Supreme Court of the United States. They are not the ones who ruled this. It was the Connecticut Supreme Court. Two different courts entirely.

It's an understandable confusion, but this was a denial of cert to the US Sup Ct, so this is a SCOTUS denial. It is also true that there is a CT Sup Ct decision involved. That's what Remington was trying to have reviewed by SCOTUS.

It's an understandable confusion, but this was a denial of cert to the US Sup Ct, so this is a SCOTUS denial. It is also true that there is a CT Sup Ct decision involved. That's what Remington was trying to have reviewed by SCOTUS.
So what does ‘denial of cert’ mean?

Remington filed an application for a writ of certiorari. The application essentially askes the court to review the case. SCOTUS denied that application for that writ.

It means the Sup Ct responded to Remington's please with a no thanks.

These types of things can be frustrating for those of us not familiar with the finer points of court procedure, but I don't think the SCOTUS is agreeing they are just declining to get involved at this time. I think often they want to let cases work their way through the lower courts before they get involved. So, not sure this means anything as of yet, but I agree it is frustrating. Maybe our members with a leagl backgroud could offer some clafication/opnions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back