Scotland or Africa?

AndABeer

My F.I.L. is after me to go hunting with him again. He either wants to go back to Africa (Mozambique for a lion for him) or go to Scotland (red stag). I was glad I went to South Africa with him last year but told myself I would never go back. I would like to see Scotland but mostly as a tourist to visit ancestrial homes and to drink too much scotch. Honestly, I really don't want to go anywhere where I will be disarmed for any length of time but I do owe this man a lot. Mozambique promises to be a much different trip than South Africa was so I am leaning that way. OTOH, his health may not allow any trips ever again but assuming it does which would you pick?

Just from reading, but as weird as the world's getting, African hunts may become a thing of the past for various reasons.

Scotland is less likely to go all wonky, SFAIK.

Art

I'd choose Africa siimply because I haven't been there - you have. So scotland for red deer? - I'd prefer New Zealand with a combo red deer and elk (wapiti) hunt, but you've got ancestral ties in Scottland...

If your gonna do the family thing, it sounds like Scottland is the way to go. It wouldn't fit into any hunt I'd plan, but then I'm not you and my choices would be accordingly different... Wish I had a FIL who hunted like that - I'd go wherever HE wanted, especially if it was to be the last time! :p

Yeah but he is asking me and will not voice an opinion himself. I suspect he really wants that lion but no firm words to that effect.

I have no advice for you.

Oakleaf from
Scotland - the friendliest, varied, beautiful, inspiring, historic, fantastic, inspiring.......:D

I live here, so the lion route is exotic. If your fireind's health is iffy, I would not want to be in Africa if a medical emergency arises. That said, pursuit of Red Stag into the Highlands - even with Argocat aid - can be physically demanding; no matter how gentle the ghillie is etc.

I have not hunted lion - I assume less climbing involved - but a damn sight more adrenalin!

If you choose Scotland, take care to ensure you get a good estate - like everywhere, we have good, bad and indifferent. I would be happy to assist - alternatively contact the British Deer Society or Associatation of Professional Deer Managers.

Your F.I.L. is going after lion - it's not entirely clear from your post, but are you going to be hunting, too, or does he just want you along to watch? And why Mozambique? That's not exactly #1 on most safari hunter's "where to go" list.

Anyway, I, personally, would jump at the chance to go "big game" hunting again in Africa. Scotland would be 'way, 'way down the list of places to go for me, somewhere behind Alaska and Kamchatka.

And you hated a trip to RSA so much you swore you'd never go back? Must've been a really bad experience. (Of course, my trip to RSA happened prior to the current government's rise to power. If you can dignify that group of commies, kleoptocrats, and tribesmen as a "government.")

If your FIL's health is a concern, then go to Scotland as they have good modern hospitals available in case of any health problems.

Hank,

Mozamibique is kind of an "up and comer" for safaris and one of the cheaper places to take lion. I would probably go for a buffalo were we to end up there. FILs favorite PH has a new spread up there.

As for RSA, I did not hate it, but there was no skill involved in the taking of the animals other than shot placement. No hunting skill needed on my part. Just driving around until the guide said, "Shoot." I find that taking local whitetail is much more exciting and challenging.

Back