Scorpion Yetiwork tailhook 1st impression

2wheelwander

A few caveats why I went this direction. The looks of the SB Tactical brace kept me from buying one. The lines of the folding 922f stock from CZ was much more attractive and I was resolving myself to spending $200 to SBR the thing. It has an inch or so of adjustability and look so much nicer. I also wanted more LOP that SB tactical offered. Adjustability is great, but it offers 10.25" LOP I believe. A folder was non-negotiable.

I recently found the Yetiworks Tailhook set up. I did not see until immediately after placing my order their folding mechanism supplied in their kit was not CZ but aftermarket. This worried me. A lot.

Yetiworks sells the plastic adapter to attach a tailhook to the CZ folder separate for about $20. Last I looked they are out of stock, but other websites sell it as well for a buck less if you look around.

Down to business. This thing rocks. Working our way back, the hinge is rock solid. No wiggle and the button is a bit stiff for my liking. I'll chalk it up to being new and expect it to break in. Polishing the catch and a little silicone should expedite that process. It locks up solid as a rock and feels firm. What I would expect from an OEM hinge. I believe the stock itself to be OEM CZ. I've handled a CZ 922r kit in the LGS contemplating a purchase and this appears to be 100% identical. The hinge is preinstalled on the stock.

The adapter and tailhook come loose in the package. The adapter had 3 or 4 holes allowing the end user to choose LOP. The tailhook is fixed into the adapter by a roll pin. This eliminates fast and easy collapsing/extending, but is a non issue for me. I installed it extending all the way out. Before you install the roll pin the adapter fits VERY loose. Once the roll pin is installed it locks up with no play whatsoever. I have a bit of concern this could begin to get loose with use, but would be simple enough to eliminate with minimal work on my part if it happens.

The tailhook has a female indexing groove that matches to a male groove on the adapter. Slides on easy and tightened in place with 2 hex head bolts.

The bad. As mentioned in Yetiworks ad, there is no magnet to fix the stock to the pistol when collapsed. No big deal right? I'll put my own magnet on. Not so fast. The tailhook, having a wider profile than the stock CZ butt, pushes the stock too far away to reasonably install a rare earth magnet, which was my plan going into this. I'd guess maybe 1/2" away from the pistol.

In operation, this is a great set up. Getting a proper cheek weld to use the stock sights is a perfect height for me. Feels natural. Not like putting a Sig brace on an AR pistol and maneuvering for the right height. My cheek naturally fell to this like a rifle. CZ did a great job designing designing their folding stock. Yetiworks did an outstanding job making a pistol brace out of it.

Originally I was going to install a Gear head works tailhook mod 2. Actually got one for Christmas. Its a nice piece of kit, easily adjusts, but too wide and unwieldly for my taste on the Scorpion.

44728597440_eb9eedc3b8_b.jpg
[/url]CZ by Todd Everetts, on Flickr[/IMG]

44728597030_3c3eed8bf6_b.jpg
[/url]CZ by Todd Everetts, on Flickr[/IMG]

You refer to the Tailhook numerous times as a "stock." It's not a stock - it's a brace.

That said, I have the same set-up on my Scorpion, and, in my opinion, it is the best brace option currently out there for this firearm. It does a good job matching the form factor and looks of the original CZ stock, uses the robust CZ hinge design, allows proper cheek weld, and is less clunky than just about any other brace option for the Scorpion.

I don't really have an issue with the lack of a magnet to keep brace tightly folded. It seems to do a pretty good job staying folded on its own, and I don't want to broach any legal issues that could arise from modifying the brace (I'm not a lawyer, and perhaps one could educate us further on this). To me, the ability to fold the stock is for storage/transport, and while I wish it was there, for these purposes, it works just fine without the magnet.

One alteration I'd love to see on future generation of Tailhook brace adapter would be integration of a length-of-pull adjustment feature similar to the original CZ stock. It looks like it should be possible.

Last edited:
The Gear Works mod 2 is adjustable, so I agree with you, not sure why this couldn't have been incorporated. With some skill and time I'm sure a tailhook could be rightly fixed to the CZ 922s stock making it a brace and retain adjustability. Doing so would not allow the magnet to work. As mentioned above, with it fixed in the extended most position I'm happy with the LOP.

You are correct, it is a brace, my verbage kept dipping into the grey water. The ATF knows these are used as stocks, the lawyers know they are used as stocks, law enforcement knows it. Its a loophole.

The second one deranged idiot uses this in a mass shooting a few hundred thousand of us law abiders may pay for it.

Took it out an hour ago and had a bit of fun with the FA trigger. Biggest grins I've had in a while! Dad wondered at the $$ I've put into this. While pricey for a lot of plastic and a few simple mods, IF it were 100% legal and attainable by mere mortals (lets just say pre 1986) we'd be looking at $20-$30k plus 2 stamps and 12 months of waiting.

Relatively speaking, these are a bargain. I won't shoot it much, but it makes me giggle.

The ATF knows these are used as stocks, the lawyers know they are used as stocks, law enforcement knows it. Its a loophole.

It's not a loophole. The law is quite clear about what constitutes a "rifle" versus a "pistol."

Of course, that doesn't mean that un-elected regulators won't illegally sidestep legislate a change in the definition and law, without basis to do so. Witness the recent bump-stock ban.

Back