Scored Pb at the scrap yard!

Butzbach

Took my huge bag of aluminum cans to the scrap yard yesterday. After we settled up I asked if they had any lead for sale. The office guy said yes but “You may not want it. It is very soft like spaghetti.” (Insert Tim the Tool Man huuuuh! here.) I am down to my Linotype stash and always on the lookout for pure lead.

He had a small pile of stained glass window leading (the spaghetti noodles) and three 3” lead roof vents. 33 lbs @ $0.82/ lb.

With all of this blessed lead, my Boolits should be effective against vampires right?

Last edited:
Vampires definitely yes, but watch out for zombies. Zombies still require the headshot. Know your enemies. It’s important!!

Sorry, you lose the blessing when you melt it down.

That is, if the blessing came from it being a church window. :rolleyes:

and, as to zombies, the head shot only works on modern movie zombies. If you're facing the original kind of zombie, raised by a voodoo priest, you need salt. Or, something that will make the zombie remember its name, at which point, it remembers it is dead and returns to its grave, and the Voodoo spell cannot raise it again.

when defending against modern movie monsters, use the modern movie rules. If you're facing the actual monsters of myth and legend, use those rules, they are often different than what's in the movies. :D

Nice score on the lead. I've got several dozen pounds cast as ingots that I'll probably never get to, but I might, and it keeps just fine till then.

No, no, no, you need to get some silver into it.

Not sure how much, you would have to experiment (its best to find a large number of the Undead to work with)..

Plumbing shops have some silver bearing solder so you could start mixing some of that in.

No, no, no, you need to get some silver into it.

Not sure how much, you would have to experiment (its best to find a large number of the Undead to work with)..

Plumbing shops have some silver bearing solder so you could start mixing some of that in.
Saw a post over on cast boolits about fluxing copper into tin. Then adding that tin to the lead. Wonder if that would work with silver.

Also wondered why these cool companies making cnc milled solid copper bullets don't run batches in silver from time to time. Only thing I can think of is silver is treated like brass, too hard so as to be considered possibly armor piercing?

Oregon Trail bullets Laser-cast line used to list silver, unstated percentage, in the contents of their bullets. I don't know if the current producer of the brand name has continued that.

The first time I saw the silver listed on the box I wondered if it were enough to be effective against werewolves. ;)

Last edited:
Beat me to it. Silver is for werewolves, not vampires. Vampires need a long, pointed, 20 mm through the heart, but not so fast that it goes clean through. It has to stop there. Now, lead bullets fluxed with sawdust? Maybe.

Beat me to it. Silver is for werewolves, not vampires. Vampires need a long, pointed, 20 mm through the heart, but not so fast that it goes clean through. It has to stop there. Now, lead bullets fluxed with sawdust? Maybe.
I remember the first time I saw Swedish Mauser blanks loaded with wood projectiles and thought "Vampire hunter". Though the bolt action might be slow for vamps...

I remember the first time I saw Swedish Mauser blanks loaded with wood projectiles and thought "Vampire hunter".

Small point of order, while often referred to as blanks, the wood bullets are actually training ammo. The threads on the muzzle end of Swedish Mausers (usually covered with a thread protector) were for the installation of a muzzle device that "shredded" the wood bullet into splinters when fired, giving the effect of a blank, but there is actually a wooden bullet fired, and without the "muzzle shredder" (no idea the proper name) those bullets would be lethal at short range.

However, wood bullets on vampires would again, only work if it were in the script. In the old legends the stake is to pin the vampire to the earth, and some even go so far as to state the stake must be hawthorn or whitethorn. And, the stake alone doesn't kill the vampire. TO do that, after they are staked, you must fill the mouth with garlic, cut the head off, and burn both (separately) to ash and scatter the ashes at a crossroads.
and, yes, I know waay too much about this stuff.....:D

Good score. Not sure about tha zombies, werewolves or vampires, but almost guaranteed to work on feral hogs.

I did purchase several boxes and calibers of the original Oregon Trail Laser Cast that say they have silver. I'll keep those for the apocalypse.

I'll be taking advantage of my day off and the cooler weather today to pour up some different things today to test out on the feral hogs here soon.

Back