Scored another vintage Browning Double Auto...

Slugo

this one is in absolute mint 95% condition. 1961 vintage alloy receiver DA Twelvette edition. The Double Auto was a Val Browning masterpiece design. Less than 7 pounds, recoil action with quick feed only holds two rounds. No maintenance required like gas guns. Take a look...

8550618547_e254efbd87_b.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how many shotguns you got in the collection Slugo? I mean, you can never have too much but you seem to have a satisfactory amount haha

I usually maintain about 10 to 12 at any given time. Seems like more, but it's not. I buy and sell most of the time with the exception of a few that are my go to target guns...

No wonder I don't see any of those in my area....( there's a huge vacuum sucking them all to PA ) to your back door ....

Oh well ....

.... nice find !

When I was a kid, a friend's father had one; I even got to shoulder it a few times. It was quite to gun - especially compared to our J.C. Higgins and Monkey Wards shotguns. If we had one, I honestly don't know if I would have dared to take it hunting.

As I've noted in other posts, I bought my first Browning DA (new) back in 1961 and I still hunt with it. I have a friend who lives down the road who is a serious DA collector. At last count, he had 23 of them, in various colors and configurations and all in pristine condition. He is still hunting for the "Holy Grail" of Browning Double Autos (in terms of scarcity), one finished in the color blue.

As you no doubt know, the blue color I am referring to is a blue anodized alloy ("hiduminum") receiver. I have a Double Auto with the relatively scarce steel receiver that has a conventional "blue job".

As an aside, I've always thought that a Double Auto chambered in 20 gauge with an appropriately scaled receiver would be the perfect upland ("repeating") shotgun.

Back