Scored a gently used S&W 559 (stainless)

Rogervzv

A friend of mine was going to consign his S&W 559 (9mm, stainless) so I took it off his hands. The gun has had maybe 2000 rounds put through it and is in superb condition. He bought it new.

Anyway, I don't know much about this gun excepting that it is a good shooter. Any insights from the folks here about this gun would be very welcome!

The 559 should be a steel (not stainless) frame, but could have been a nickel-plated version; the similar 659 was stainless. Just an FYI.

My first real gun was a model 659, xmas gift from my mother that I have to this day. Pleasure to shoot but heavy as crap so it pulls nightstand duty. I remember about 10 or 15 years ago you could buy most of the used steel smith's all day long for $200 (the polymer craze was full force).

As others here have noted, I was wrong -- the gun is nickel plated, not stainless. My bad. I'd never seen a nickel-plated pistol before. Tell you one thing -- this gun is a shooter!

I had a nickeled 539 for a while, and . . . hated it.
It was one of the most beautiful handguns I've ever seen, but the combination of crunchy DA/SA and plated front sight was enough to make me pass it along to someone who really wanted it.

Last edited:
Back