Scoping a Winchester 9422

bicyclemary

Inactive
Ok. I got the gun. Got a Hawke 3x9x40 Vantage scope and Burris medium rimfire rings. Was all set. Then of course. I gotta take the rear sight off. Ahhh. Can anyone tell me the best way. Tapping from left to right with a brass punch or a wood dowel? Any suggestions? Thanks,
Tim

Why take the rear sight off???

Apparently the front of the scope won't clear the rear sight with the mounts he is using. Happens all the time.

Use an ALUMINUM drift, as a brass punch will work harden and dent the metal on your sight base and barrel after repeated hits. Aluminum will leave a silver stain on the metal which wipes off with solvent, but will not harm the metal. I use handles from old stripped Xacto knife handles.

Also, left to right.

I have an old Leupold 2-7 scope on my 9422, and I left the iron sights on. I think I have Weaver mounts with the Weaver rail, so that I could move the mounts back or forth to get a good fit. The rifle is in my workshop, but I can look at it later if the OP would like me to - to be sure of how I mounted the scope.

Good thinking

Why take the rear sight off???
Good answer and line of thought. I recently acquired a Pietta with long range, tang mount vernier sights and the previous owner had removed the rear barrel mount sight and installed a blank. Not only did it look bad but I did not have the option and advantage of the original rear sight. I replaced the blank with a fold down semi-buckhorn. It looks much better and gained functionality. .. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

I just looked at my 9422. Apparently the scope I have, the Leupold 2-7, is the ideal scope. I had to lower the rear sight all the way down to get clearance for the scope. And the mounts are directly on the grooved receiver, not on a Weaver rail. Maybe I just got lucky, but it all works. Probably higher mounts would have worked also.

My younger brother had a 9422 when we were teenagers, at the time, I considered it a less desirable rifle than the Model 190 I had. For one thing, it was much heavier, ;)

In my opinion, If your scope won't clear the rear sight, then you're either using the wrong scope, wrong mounts or mounting it in the wrong place.

Now, there are rifles where you don't have much choice about where the scope can be, but the Win 9422, like many other .22s have a grooved receiver, there are inches of ranges of position for the rings, and also for the scope in the rings.

I have seen a lot of rifles where the owner removed the rear sight to make "clearance" for their choice of scope & mount. I've even owned a few. NONE of them ever had the rear sight with them. In most cases, it had been lost.

One I got was a Marlin .44Mag, the owner had removed the rear sight for a scope, and of course was not selling the scope (or any scope) with the rifle. Claimed he did have the rear sight, and he actually did. It was at his hunting cabin, 3 states away. Took a few weeks, but I did eventually get the sight. That was a rarity.

A brass punch will do nothing to steel but leave some of itself behind.

Wrong. Brass will work harden to the point that it will start to damage some steels. I've seen it numerous times.

An aluminum punch will not do any damage except leave a silver stain that is removable with bore solvent.

I should have consulted the forum in this one. Maybe I'd would have ended up with 2-7 Leopold. I found a new Hawke vantage 3-9-40 ir. Got Burris medium rim fire rings. And. No go. Even after removing rear sight. Tim

Considering the era when the gun was designed, when 7/8" scopes were the standard for .22s, and 1 inch tubes were a rarity on .22s, its not surprising you are having fit issues with a 3x9 with a 40mm objective.

While I don't know the exact scope you are talking about, by "old school" standards, a 3x9x40 is a monster big scope for a .22LR

High rings seem like a no brainer to check first.

Good Luck!

I just picked up a BSA 2.5x scope for a 10/22. It has a straight tube with a 1" objective, there would be little chance of interference with the rear sight with this scope. A nice used Gloss finished 2.5x Leupold is what I would be looking for though. Very small ,has a straight tube and would be fitting for such a nice rifle.

Scope on a Winchester lever gun is an act against Nature. :D
Brings to mind putting Makeup on a Beautiful Woman!
Larry Duane

Nature can always use a "little" help

Scope on a Winchester lever gun is an act against Nature.
Brings to mind putting Makeup on a Beautiful Woman!
Perhaps but there are times when a little bit of rouge, can go a long way. Any of these older lever firearms seldom call out for any optics and when they do, it's usually the Old steel-tube Weavers. ........ ;)

Be Safe !!!

I have 2 of those Beauties, My Brother and I bought them new within a week of one another. His was the last Winchester mine is the 1st series of USRA.
His 9422 has something I have never seen before, his ejector/cocking bar was
left bright by the factory so when the lever is closed it is silver on either side of the hammer. I have never seen one like that before. was it common practice?
My Brother Vern passed in 2014, he left me his collection.

Back