Scoping a Ruger Mini-14

Short Bursts

I am thinking of installing a scope on a Ruger Mini-14. I would want a wude fiekd of view and a magnification not greater than 4X. I wwould like to be able to remove the scope and use the iron sights when neccessary. Does anyone have any experiencein scoping a Mini-14? Any recommendations on the choice of the scope and the mounts?

what kind of mini 14 is it a ranch rifle.me i have a busshnell 3-9x40 on mine

------------------
oneshotonekill

Check old threads on scoping a Mini14. Not advisable unless it's a throwaway scope. Better to scope the Ranch rifle.

Check old threads on scoping the Mini14 for the problems with it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I had one. My mount was an over under type. You could see the peep and use the scope. Good idea, bad performance. I can't exactly remember the configuration, but it seems there was a large knurled nut on the side, it's only attaching point. Then 4 allen screws were snugged down to the top of the reciever. Acurassy sucked, somewhere in the 5" group, the point of impact would shift from time to time.
I would definatly urge you to go with the ranch model. That way you could get 4" groups anyhow. A dot scope would be a good alternative, since acurrasy isn't that great with a lot of minis, at least you have a fast alligning sight.
A gentleman posted somewhere to drill and tap the reciever so the 4 screws would work with the mount as well. This of coarse would ruin the value of the rifle, it seems the ranch rifle would be a whole lot easier. I hunt with a guy that had a bull barrel put on his. It shoots 1" groups all day. So I would assume that's where the problem lies with a factory Ruger.

Back