Scoping a Blackhawk

Handy

Hello, my first time in revolver country.

I would like to scope a .45 LC Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel. I would appreciate some advice on mounts. Magnum level loads may occasionally be fired.

The design I think most interesting are the B-square full length rails that run from front site to back. They are not currently made for my barrel length. I like the fact that they require no gunsmithing and allow a more forward mounting. The B-square rep said they could custom build one in spring. The older clamp on style is too high and ugly.

Otherwise, the Weigland and similar units are cheap and require two screws tapped, but cover the top strap only. They might be more solid, maybe not.

Am I missing a major option? I don't need a mount built for .454 and I would rather make minimal alterations to the pistol and spend less.

I don't know if you have fired any REALLY hot loads from this gun yet, but it is punishing in the 4 5/8" bbl. I got rid of mine. I am sure that the weigand mount is of high quality, but like you said it must be screwed on. The B-square might not hold up through 325gr at 1350fps. There are other gunsmiths that mount bases but I'm unawre of the qulity of any of them.

Ditto on that B-Square with the hot stuff. Get the most indestructible mount you can find and then try to find another one 50% stronger.

I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag with the scope mounts. I put a Simmons stainless in the rings and tightened properly (1/2 to 1/4 turn on all ring screws at a time). When I took it to sight it in within the first 3 shots the scope slid in the rings and drove itself up onto the front sight.

Be careful to secure the scope prior to firing, watch what happens after each of the first 10-20 shots to watch for scope creep, and if all else fails I used the blue loc-tite inside the scope rings.

Best of luck

I'm not a "revolver snob" but I still believe that scopes don't belong on sixguns. However, if you must, then consider using RTV between the rings and the scope...I think it'll halp cushion it from the jolt, and also keep it from slipping.

Thank you. What is RTV?

I have to ask, what does a scope belong on? If I can keep all my shots with a 9mm on a pie plate at 100 yards, I thought it would be fun to do better than that with my (supposedly) more accurate revolver. I can't see holding any tighter than 8" at 100 yards with any handgun without optics. Is a .44 Contender somehow a better choice than a .44 revolver, or are scopes for rifles only?

Scope anything you want. I do not like scopes on my handguns, but I will, when I get a little more blind. I think the best bet is to buy one of the Rugers that come with the scope rings. You have several choices in the Redhawk and Super Redhawk family and you now have the Super Blackhawk Hunter in the single action line. If you don't want to buy another gun, let a good gunsmith scpoe the revolver for you.

You asked...

Handy, it's my OPINION. If you don't like it, I have a feeling you know what you can do with it. I think that a scope ruins the lines and hampers the functionality of an easy packin' sixgun. I've tried it, and I formed an opinion, then I gave it to you...that's the way things go. A Contender already has a lot less "packability" than most sixguns, IMHO, and is a poor compromise between the rifle and the pistol. Again, my opinion. I know folks love 'em, and I know that they're versatile, but that doesn't make me like them anymore.

Back to the topic. Besides making the gun somewhat unweildy, and somewhat ugly, handgun scopes have small objective lenses. I'm not a big fan of scopes even on hunting rifles, and I think that they're pretty much unnecessary unless you're shooting in low-light conditions. In low light, they're pretty invaluable. A small objective lens like a handgun scope has limits your low light shooting capabilities, so what does it get you? Not much.

RTV is a silicone goo that you can buy at any auto parts store. Get the clear and it won't show up around the edges. If you want the scope to stay put, it's probably your best chance.

Example: I have a scope set in ARMS #18 rings on my M1A, Even with the top sections of the rings removed, the scope is stil stuck to the bottom sections pretty darn good. I could shoot the rifle without the top section of the rings without worrying about the scope moving. It's not a glue, but it sets up to a sticky semi-solid enough to hold things in place.

To apply: Determine where the scope should be in the rings. Clean everything with alcohol. Wear rubber gloves (to keep you're oils from getting on things). Smear some RTV on tops and bottoms of the rings, set the scope exactly where you want it. Tighten the rings. Wait overnight. Enjoy.

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I have heard that for years and no one had really explained what they meant (aesthetics vs. function). I'm just doing this for fun because I believe I've reached the limits of open site accuracy even with 20/15 vision. I'd like to know all a good revolver is capable of and may even use it to hunt, but I hate to merely wound with poor placement.

Back