Scopes

Bucksnort1

I'm looking for recommendations for a good 3X9 scope in the $150 to $200 range. It will be mounted on a Remington 700 in .243. This rifle belongs to my best friend's 15 year old grandson. Other than the 3x9 feature, the scope should be basic.

Do you mean a 3-9 or a 3x9? A 3-9 is adjustable magnification from 3 power to 9 power.

Sorry, pet peeve.

But seriously, go find a used Nikon Prostaff. I use one on semi auto .308 for well over 2k rounds now. I liked it so much I bought 2. It has glass comparable to most $400 scopes and the older generation runs about $100.

Heck, $150-200 would buy a NEW Prostaff. Not to mention one of the Buckmasters II (pretty much the same scope from what I've seen) for $129 at wally world. They're darn nice scopes too. They have a BDC reticle that is easy to use (not sure if the Buckmasters do) and is universal with most cartridges.

Hmmmmm, might want to visit Natchez shooters Supply and check their stock of Weaver scopes, especially the Grand and Super Slam Weavers. Very nice scopes and should be in your price range. Many are reduced in price.....reason is both the grand and super lines have been redone and older models are reduced in price. Mind you, the older models were pretty darn good scopes.

Do you mean a 3-9 or a 3x9? A 3-9 is adjustable magnification from 3 power to 9 power.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Thank you - also a pet peeve of mine. The "-" is pronouned "to" and the "x" is pronounced "by" and they are very different things with different meanings.

Whatever number follows the x (by) is the objective lens size, so a 3x9 ("three by nine") scope would be a fixed 3 power scope, with a 9mm objective, which doesn't exist. What you are looking for is a 3-9x40 ("Three TO Nine BY forty"). Or possibly a 3-9x42.

Carry on. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It does change the meaning and lead to confusion, so I think it's a pet peeve worth mentioning, since so many people write it the wrong way, leading to miscommunication.

Now to answer question, I think in that price range, you're not gonna beat the Nikon Prostaff, Nikon Omega, or Burris Fullfield II...unless something has changed in the last few years.

But if you're willing to buy used in that same price range, you can step it up a tad - Nikon Buckmaster, Leupold VX1. Check the SWFA sample list, ebay, Amazon, and Natchez SS clearance items.

We all know what you mean. People say it both ways all the time. Go look at the open, demo section on opticsplanet.com. there are some really nice leupolds on there for good prices. The vx1 3-9 is like 175 bucks. They have a 4-12 leupold for under 250 i believe both awesome scopes. There is a vender on ebay that sells the leupold 3-9x40 vx1 scopes for 176 shipped claims they are brand new and has sold a lot of them. Thats also a great deal.

Vortex Crossfire II series.If your hunting and/or shooting in low light the V brite reticle 3-9x50 for right at around 200$..Vortex warranties all products for life.Used or new,no matter if you broke it from misusing it,no receipt,no questions asked and you can be the 100th owner and its still covered.If its for a younger fella it may get abused a bit.

snolden, my posting indicates 3x9. What's the difference between 3-9 and 3x9?

A 3X9 scope would be a fixed power 3X scope with a 9mm objective size. Fixed power scopes and binoculars only list 1 magnification with an X behind it. The last number indicates the size of the front objecitve. For example common binoculars or scopes would be 7X35, 8X40, 10X50, etc.

Variable power optics list the range of power settings with a dash between them and an X at the end. For example, 1-4X, 2-7X, 3-9X.

Most of the time the objective size is is added to the end, 1-4X20, 2-7X32, or 3-9X40, etc.

This is a common mistake and most of the time folks know what you really mean. But there are times when it can be very confusing. They make fixed power 8X32 optics and variable power 8-32X optics.

There is nothing with a MSRP of $150 that I would recommend. Starting at $200 there are several good choices. The Burris FF-II in a 3-9X40 is my top choice. Other good ones are the Redfield Revolution and Leupold VX-1. All in 3-9X40 configuration.

The Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 I bought a few years ago is still working perfectly on my .270 win. The BDC reticle makes it easy to adjust for different ranges.

Economist, you and another responder recommended the Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40. My friend bought, for his grandson, this scope. The comparison of the clarity between the cheap, no-name scope and the Nikon is astronomical. The cheap scope has acrylic lenses while the Nikon has glass. What a major difference. Thanks for the advice. Cabela's mounted and bore sighted for 50 yards for no fee and, they allowed my friend to use my military discount.

two

You got anything against a used scope? For about your price range, you could well get a used Leupold VariX or what ever the older models are called, and the lifetime warranty would still apply. I buy mine on Ebay, and have not had a lemon yet.

I'd avoid the Rifleman and VX-1, but the older "ii" or vari X types are entirely useful.

If it must be new, a budget Nikon is not a bad scope, nor is the newer Redfield, and I like the Burris Fullfield II as well.

I am glad he is happy with the Prostaff. I have compared mine with a few other budget scopes on my friends' rifles and the Prostaff always comes away the clearest. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Bamaranger, why would you avoid a new vx1 but buy an old variX? As i understand the new vx1 scopes have the same or better glass as the older vari x2 scopes. Only bummer i see with the vx1 is the friction adjustments, i prefer positive clicks. However the rifleman scopes im not sold on. Was shooting my brothers 270 which had a newly mounted rifleman qdma scope and with the 2moa adjustments and clarity i wasnt blown away. My bdc prostaff is much more clear and i like the reticle more.

I have a Vortex Diamondback I bought at cabelas on sale for 200. I'm happy with it and it's a good scope. Depending on where you are located my dad recently put a scheels brand scope on his. 243 and is very happy with it. I believe you can get it for about 200 as well.

A 3X9 scope would be a fixed power 3X scope with a 9mm objective size. Fixed power scopes and binoculars only list 1 magnification with an X behind it. The last number indicates the size of the front objecitve. For example common binoculars or scopes would be 7X35, 8X40, 10X50, etc.

Variable power optics list the range of power settings with a dash between them and an X at the end. For example, 1-4X, 2-7X, 3-9X.

Most of the time the objective size is is added to the end, 1-4X20, 2-7X32, or 3-9X40, etc.

This is a common mistake and most of the time folks know what you really mean. But there are times when it can be very confusing. They make fixed power 8X32 optics and variable power 8-32X optics.

Exactly; thank you. It does matter - please get it right, folks. :)

Also, the old regular Nikon "Monarch UCC" has been discontinued, but the used ones of these in 3-9x40 config are usually very cheap, and are excellent.

Back