Scopes

Pete in CO

Inactive
Which scope is the best in your opinion. With so many to chose from I want to make the right choice. There's Leopold, Nightforce, Shepard, Springfield,etc.
Need help decideing. Thanks in advance.

The question is too broad. What is the intended use of the scope?

This is a generic reply and does not include specialty scopes like USOptics, ACOGs or ELCAN type devices. For warranty coverage, Leupold is the best. Nightforce is a nice cost-no-object scope, but are primarily large objective lense, higher power and heavy.

For me, I prefer Leupold and if I want cheaper, I use Bausch&Lomb or Bushnell. One advantage of Leupold for mass market scopes is reticles. Leupold has many of their own, and Premier Reticles can supply just about anything else at a decent cost.

I will use it on a .223 mod 12VBSS-S for varmithunting. What bases,
Weaver with Burris Signature, or one piece Leopold with Leopold rings? This is not a carry around rifle, at least too long.

I would get a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 with 40mm AO objective. If you do not mind the weight, the 6-5-20X50 LR (long range with 30mm tube) is nice but costs more.

I prefer the Leupold 2 piece bases. They utilize all 4 mounting holes. Leupold one piece bases use only 3 holes. Probably not an issue with .223. On my .223 Light Tactical Rifle I am using the 2 piece dual dovetail. Sleek and very strong.

I am not sure if they make a base 2 piece dual dovetail for Savage

If you use a Weaver style base, use the Leupold QRW or other STEEL base. Warne makes one. I found the Burris Signature rings with inserts to be extremely high quality and the permit no-mar mounting. They are steel.

Thanks, 700PSS, you helped me make up my mind. My first choice was Leopold as you suggested.
I will try to get 2 piece bases, probably Weaver, and the Burris Signature rings.
Thanks again, Pete

Back