Scopes- Whats the quality jump from $500 to $1000?

Looking for a scope for a new hunting rig. This is my first scoped centerfire so Im not gonna be reaching out.

Hunting at 100-300 yards.

Do I go full on and get a zeiss conquest 3-9x40? Or just stick with the leupold vx3 or something in that price range

Also- I am a Scopenewb but do plan on learning how to shoot, is it worthwhile to get a mildot reticle?

I personally think you will be fine with the Zeiss 3-9x40 for 100-300 yard hunting. Go to "search" and type in scopes and enjoy the read. Lots of opinions on the amount of money one should spend on rifle scopes, brands, etc.

From $500-$1,000, not much really. There is a much bigger difference between a $250 scope and a $300 scope. I'll use an example used by race car drivers. Getting a car to run up to a certain speed is pretty inexpensive. To get just 2-3 more MPH may cost thousands more. How fast you want to run?

The same with scopes. A $1,000 scope is better, but most of us would have a hard time telling the difference, or be able to take advantage of it in the field.

Decent scopes start at about $200. Below that are some useable scopes, but the difference is noticeable enough that the $200 scopes are well worth the difference. The most scopes for the money are in the $300-$500 range. I could be perfectly happy with many of the $300 scopes. A Leupold VX-2 is about perfect for me. Moving up to the VX-3 or Zeiss Conquest you do get a better scope, but not enough for me to pay the difference. Not again anyway. I own a Conquest, a Diavari, and a few XV-3's. I just bought a new generation VX-2 for $330 that outperfroms the VX-3's and Zeiss scopes that are 5-6 years old.

Buying a scope for you rifle is a lot like buying a guitar. Sometimes you have to pay a LOT more to get a little more in terms of brightness, clarity and precision.

There are a lot of good scopes on the market that will do the job you want without breaking the bank.

Where the more expensive scopes really shine is in early morning and early evening.

The precision of the lens grinding is important in edge to edge clarity.

More expensive scopes have coatings on all glass surfaces where some lower tier scopes do not. Those coatings help in passing light to your eye.

The test for you is to try some out at your LGS and find one that is nice and clear for you.

You don't always get a dud by buying the lowest priced scope out there, but realistically, you should be prepared to spend a couple of hundred or more to get one to do what you want.

I have Nikons, Leupolds, Weavers and one Nightforce. Taken individually, they all do the job.

Setting them up in a row and looking through each of them, some pretty distinct differences can be seen.

Do I go full on and get a zeiss conquest 3-9x40? Or just stick with the leupold vx3 or something in that price range

Zeiss Conquest is a nice scope and can be had around $399 (a steal)... The Leupold VX-3 is a comparable scope in terms of optical quality and brightness.. I own both and like them...

Zeiss, Nikon, Leupold, Trijicon's top-end scopes...all great :)

But I have a hard time justifying paying over $250 for a scope when there are so many wonderful offerings under $250!!

Got an expensive Nikon gifted to me recently...compared it with many less expensive scopes I've got...
with 20/10 vision I see little difference among them...the Nikon is a hair clearer than my Centerpoint 4-16x44's...holds zero just as well...
although I like the tinier crosshairs of the Nikon, I can't see $300 worth of difference between 'em...
the Trijicon is just as clear...and has more toys...heck even the BSA's compare well...

Some I believe you pay more for the name...some for the technology they put into 'em...
Bring your OWN scope into a gun shop and compare...that'd be the best way to see any real difference...

The only reason you'd really want to get a mildot reticle is if you want to use it to determine the range of what ever it is your shooting at.
Its a fair bit of calculating and messing about so its usually not worth it for the average shooter.

If you have a range finder then you really don't need one.

If you intend on shooting deer sized game from 100-300yards then your really don't need to spend a fortune on a scope.
You don't need to have target turrets, zero stop and all the bells and whistles.

A good 3-9x40 will suit you fine.

Now if you were wanting to shot prairie dogs at 300yards+ then you would need something more substantial.

I agree a 9x40 would be great even at 300 yards...and anything past that is questionable but certainly not impossible.

Last edited:
Both are excellent scopes and in that price range I think it's really hard to call one better than the other. I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago and struggled making the decision until I was suggested to take a look at the Nikon Monarch.

Personally I thought the Nikon was a tad brighter than both the Zeiss and Leupold and ended up buying it. I've not been disappointed either. Holds zero, very bright and clear and is perfect out to 300 yards.

Out of those scopes, pick the one you feel is best, in the real world you won't notice any difference between all three.

Scope

I recently purchased a Redfield Revenge 3x9 42mm scope. Redfield is owned by Leupold and manufactured in the Philippines (by Nikon????? Or did Leupold buy/build a factory there???). At any rate the Revenge has the usual Leupold warranty and functions well. Very well indeed. I actually like the Turrets better than any scope I've owned, including Leupold. I'd rate the Revenge a "Best Buy".

I agree with the advice previously given.

The only suggestion I would make would be to visit some of the web sites that sell scopes online. Look at the "Reviews" given by people that have bought the scopes you are considering.

Take all reviews with a grain of salt. You are not looking for a single opinion, what you want to "see" is a trend in the reviews. If the majority of the reviews pan a product, there may be a reason.

When you decide on a particular scope, go to your local gun shop to buy it. Try to negotiate the price a little based on what you see online. If you don't support your LGS, they won't be there when you need them.

mes228, the Redfield scope is made in America, as far as the Revenge line goes the website does'nt specify. If I were to be shopping for a scope right now, this minute, the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x 40 AO, would fill the bill. Because of the magnification and the clarity of the glass and the repeatable windage and elevation adjustments, it magnifies better than most, no maybe all scopes in this class. For $289.00 it seems to be priced lower than most scopes of this quality. It's made in the Phillipines, and has a Lifetime Warranty, no hassles as their Customer Service is fantastic. IMHO, this scope for the money can't be beat!;):)

Rustle, google up the "you-tube" "Todd's Tundra Test", for the Diamondback.

As for the optics, heck look down the tube, if the image looks great, it is great.

I have been comparing my $1000 Pentax, Howa spotting scopes against $400 Celestron scopes. Maybe a teenager can see a difference, but I can't.

My cheap $100 Barsika, for $100 not bad, but the image is green and goes to pot at the edges. There is a diffence for the cheapest optics.

I am not certain that the more expensive scopes track better. I have target shooting friends who report all sorts of elevation and windage tracking problems, they have had, or others have had, with every brand of expensive target scope. And I am talking $2,000 rifle scopes.

Since it is for a hunting rifle the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 would be a great choice. Because it is a hunting rifle I prefer lightweight and the Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 is the winner for me in variables. It has a very usable power range that will get you way past 300 yards on targets a game. It is the same price as the Conquest as well.

It weighs just over 11 oz and is in between the Leupold Ultralights 2-7 and 3-9 and the Zeiss Conquest 3-9, but with a better field of view at 100 yards than the Ultralights and the Zeiss. Although I'm sure the Zeiss would have a similar FOV if operating the same power range. I do realize that I'm being very picky over just a few ounces, but I hunt the mountains around 7000'+ in elevation and hate carrying around big and bulky rifles. That is another thing I like about Leupold is usually they allow you to mount the scope lower which streamlines the appearance of the rifle. I hate to see light weight hunting rifles sporting Hubble's.

Of course this all depends on where you live and hunt as well. If I was hunting some bean field from a blind or tree stand then I probably wouldn't care much about the weight of the rifle. However I feel anything under 8.5 lbs "all up" (rifle, scope & mounts, sling, and ammunition) is good and anything from 7-8 lbs "all up" is even better. I don't see much point in getting lighter than 7 lbs as I still want enough heft in the rifle to keep it steady when I'm breathing hard from lack of oxygen. ;)

There are other things I look at as well when researching for rifle scopes besides usable power and weight. Size and forgiveness of the eye box, eye relief, reputation, warranty, and customer service is all important as well, far more to me than price.
But I have a hard time justifying paying over $250 for a scope when there are so many wonderful offerings under $250!!
While this is true you'll never notice a great difference in the light of day or the sporting goods store. However, a true hunting scope earns its price tag at dusk and dawn in the beginning and end of shooting light. Being able to distinguish your target from the back ground and see your crossharis to place a precise shot in low light is worth the extra money.

That inexpensive Centerpoint likes dusk...and has a red/green lighted reticle...
coyote's don't like it much, tho...hehehe

Heck, nearly all scopes look good inside your local gun store and the inexpensive ones work well enough in broad daylight. To really see the difference get together with a few friends who have some of the scopes that interest you in different price ranges and compare them on a distant target as it gets dark. Then you will get an idea of what you are paying for and perhaps which scopes are overpriced.

"...as it gets dark." That does it for me.

I don't know squat about optics, but my buddy put me onto the low-light part long ago and he didn't lead me astray. Thanks to his advice I bought a scope and binos that I love 10-12 years later.

Seems like clarity is easy to achieve, but light-gathering is not. Might be why deer have learned not to graze at noontime.

You haven't mentioned what centerfire rifle you are putting this scope on, but for a flat shooting centerfire you can't go wrong with a 3-9x40 variable scope for hunting. I prefer the Duplex reticle for hunting, which also help acquire target in low light.
I own 4 Leupolds, 2 of which are 3-9x40 VXII's. I also own a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 & a Kahles 2.5-10x50. I actually prefer 2.5-10 as a variable over a 3-9, but only just. The Kahles was around $1200, & I think you can get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for around $400. There is not a lot of difference in clarity or light gathering ability between my Kahles &my Zeiss. I would have to recommend Zeiss. In saying that, I should also point out that I have never been disappointed with any of my Leupolds.

Just my 2 cents here. The difference you will see in most scopes is the tracking. Repeatability is the key breaker. If you sight in at say 300 yards and use hold over from there out,you will be ok with a cheap scope. Clarity,light gathering,ect ect,,I have had a cheap NC Star on my 223 for 4 years now.
I can shoot it in any condition that youcould shoot your 1000.00 scope. I have no issue seeing in early dawn or late evening at all. Sighted at 200 yards with the mil dot i have i just use hold over. Now take that same scope and try to move 200 yards out by clicking,,Baddddddd Idea. Lord knows where you are going to hit (12 inches high 15 feet to the side:D.) Cheap scopes---sight them in at a given distance and leave them alone. Exspensive scopes-feel free to use adjustments all you want and come right back to zero with confidence

All my hunting rifles have Leupold scopes on them from 2.5x8x36,3x9x40 3.5x10x40 and 4.5x14x40 with duplex reticle. For me it's hard to beat the 3x9x40 for a basic hunting scope and I also like the 3.5x10x40 those would be my two picks.

Back