Scopes on magnum pistols

Ben Shepherd

My Freedom Arms 454 should be here in a couple of weeks!!!:D
I was wondering if anyone had experiences with scopes other than leoupold EER. That's what I put on my 44mag SRH, and I've loved it since day one. I just wondered if someone out there could sway me to another brand? I would like to keep the price down around th $500 mark, maybe $650, $1000 is out of the question.
Any experiences good or bad welcome.
BTW: it was purchased for hunting so it will see some fairly hard use under less than perfect conditions.

I tried a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6X Handgun Scope, which is the model I have on a couple of my 30 caliber T/C Contender barrels, on my .454 when I first got it and never could get it to zero in (I had no problem zeroing in the 22 Hornet T/C barrel it ended up on). Went to a 4X EER Leupold that I picked up on auction and had it zeroed in on the first range session. Stay with what works.

When I bought mine, Freedom Arms was recommending only the Leupold and my 2x has never given me any trouble. However, I later saw that they were recommending some other scopes as well (may have been Burris, but I can't recall). You might want to call them up and see what they're recommending these days.

I also have an Elite 3000 2x6 on my 9.5" SRH. It works very well, and the extra magnification comes in handy for long (i.e., 75 yard) shots.

Ben, Leupold on my SRH, but a Burris 2-7X variable on my T/C Encore. I bought the Encore with a T/C variable power handgun scope mounted, but didn't like the eye relief. The Burris has held up well, and seems to have more forgiving eye relief. The rifles I own that don't sport Leupolds are wearing Burris scopes. Overall, I think they are good quality scopes that provide good value for the money.

Back