Scopes for AR-15's

Chilly1017

Inactive
I'm getting ready to mount a scope on my AR-15 and would like some opinions on what type and which maker. Any suggestions?

I think I want to leave the handle on but will remove if necessary. Depending on the type of scope. The type of shooting is just personal target shooting nothing competative, I just don't have the time for that. Budget is a few hundred dollars.

Chilly1017:

Sounds like you're a casual shooter/plinker with your AR.

Cheaper than Dirt! (which isn't cheapter than dirt anymore) sells AR15 scope mounts and their prices varies from $40 up. They also have Chinese copies of the Tasco rubber armored 3x9 scope for less than $50. I mounted a Colt detachable scope base and rubber Tasco on mine and dressed up my HBAR to look like that Delta Elite rifle Colt sold in the early '90s. My total cost was less than $150. There are other vendors like TAPCO out there and you'll have to shop around for prices.

You may also want to consider a Red Dot type sight. Rich & Mykl report being able to get small groups @ 300 yards with a Red Dot. I'm seriously considering a Red Dot for my next AR, but have to save the $ to buy the lower receiver (plan to assemble kits next year for fun).

Gary

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited 01-01-99).]

Thanks Gary for the input. But a new problem has come into focus. It's my wife. She did a lot of complaining about how much money I spent when I bought the AR15, until she fired it. Well now she thinks its hers(she used to be in the army and can't believe how muched she missed firing her weapon). She wants to spent a couple hundred $ for a scope. This may take longer than I thought.

Hi Chilly1017,

Check out the marketplace forum here @ TFL. FWIW, someone is selling a SWAN scope mount base for the AR15. Touts it to be the same as the one use on the HBAR. Can't tell you whether it's a good price at what he's asking though.

Gary

I have been playing for the last several months with a red-dot on an AR. Not just any Red-Dot, but a Holosite.

I know, I know.. "Rob.. how could you go out and buy a Holosite for your AR??" well, I was given a couple to use in a rimfire event last year, so I took one off of an M-41 and thought I'd play around a little.

I am madly in love. In fact, I've been working with a couple of experienced CQB/entry guys to develop a system for training specifically to the set-up. (in fact, see the recent "RBD" thread in rifles for the exact set-up).

We have been mouting the weapon low on the shoulder. We sight them in at 25 yards. The reticle (dot in circle) sorta floats in your field of vision, at the top of the Holosite's box. Keep both eyes open, move, scan, hop, jump, find your target-- bang. Keeping both eyes open the whole time. It is the closest thing to point shooting a rifle that I've ever found.

Fast, multiple target hits, Cooper-esqe "snapshots" and shooting on the move are what we are focusing on.

Head shots at 25-30 yards? 5 tactical teds spread in a box 15 yards long by 5 yards deep... consistently less than 4 seconds from a low ready.

Need a long range shot? Drop your cheek down to the stock and use the iron sights.

There is a PSD team that is seriously considering adopting the Holosite for their M4s, so we have been working on a lot of movement, deployment to and from vehicles and multiple target drills.

I was especially surprised that the Holosite hasn't fallen apart or gotten knocked off. It is a lot more rugged than it looks, IME.

The dot's brightness is adjustable for day/night/indoor use. The only complaint I have is that it automatically is at its brightest setting when you first turn it on, which can be pretty glaring at night or indoors.
The on/off button is easier to operate than the knobs on most red dots, IMO. You can push it easily with either hand while the weapon is shouldered.

I played around with an ESD traditional Red-Dot and I didn't really like it that much. It was much more obstructive of the field of view and you had to have your eye directly behind the tube to get a good picture.

The Holosite's list price is between $300-$350, but I think they can be found for less.

Rob
The only problem that I know of with the Holosight is wet weather. Rain, snow or high humidity can blur the dot. Other than that everyone that I know who has one loves it. They just carry a small towel and swipe just before use.

I haven't heard anything about humidity problems, I used mine in South Florida last year, some of the time in drizzling rain and had no problem.
In fact Ihad more trouble with rain on my regular red-dots that we were using in another part of the competition.

They also sell a metal hood for the holosite, but I've never seen one and don't know if it would obstruct the field of vision.

There are many scopes that will work well.
Trijicons unit is very good.
But most any will work well - depending on who its mounted.

Check with www.bushmaster.com for mounts.
Mounting is the key to its good function.
Needless to say: Bushmaster is the BEST for AR type rifles. And your can order what you need online. They are kinda slow, they take theyre time for sure - but once you get it, you'll know it was worth the wait.
Kinda like H&K :)

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

Back