Scoper ring height and stocks

Corey

I have been working on a Mauser 38, which I think is identical to the 96 with a 23.8" barrel. If you know of any difference please tell me. My father used to shoot it in its original form and loved it, so he gave it to me. I pulled the stock off of it and am going to order a Choate stock for it. If you know of any better stock for under $90, please notify me. I just ordered a Tasco scope with a 40mm objective and I was wondering what the best mounts would be for it and the height they should be. I would like to get hold of rings that put the scope as close to the barrel as possible, but will come off if needed. I am not a person to take off and put back a scope often, but I like the ability to use the iron sights if the scope malfunctions. Any info I can get would be most appreciated.

The 8mm is nowhere near being a thunder-boomer, but there is noticeable recoil. You might find the Tasco won't hold up--maybe, maybe not.

Cheapskate that I am, I use Weaver bases and rings. Scopes with 40mm objective lenses generally fit okay with low bases.

FWIW, Art

Hey Art,
The M38 is not an 8mm, it is a Swedish mauser. It fires a 6.5X55 Swedish round that I really like. It has a little less kick than a .270 Win, but has somewhat similar patterns as a .270.

Back