Scope woes.....

DannyO

I am thinking of upgrading to a Mil-Dot scope. I like Leupold but I am far from rich. What Leupold scopes are good to 1000 yds but won't break the bank.

I also heard Tasco puts out a Mil-Dot scope now. Does anyone have any experience with one?

BTW the rifle is a 308. :D

------------------
"Some people spend an entire liftime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Semper Fi

Leupold is now making varible power 30mm scopes that run under $1000. They can be had in the M1 or M3 models, the M3 the BDC model. One is just as well served with an adjustable objective 4.5x14 or a AO 3.5x10, both can be had with mil dots. I have seen the 4.5x14 do very well at a 1000, provided one has the proper mount. The standard "police screw" Leupold mounts were not really effective past 500 yards in the instance I saw them (Hathcock range Camp Lejuene). I have a Tasco super sniper scope, like it very much but have not used it due to no more rifle funding. The scope is a 30mm tube, clear glass and a sharp mil dot reticle. riflescopes.com, SWAFA, sells them for around $300 or so. It is a good scope for the money, a working man's Mk IV. Leupold is also offering several long range varients in the (errors in power are mine)4.5x14, 3.5x10, 6x20, 8.5x25. Equally important in shooting at the grand is the mount. Check out Precision Shooting or Tactical Shooter for information on scope mounts, several companies offer them with extra minutes of angle built into the mount. This saves one from topping out the elevation dial. Just a thought.

Back