Scope suggestion for Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

checkmyswag

Looking for a foreward mounted quick aquisition style. None with batteries please. Also I'm only looking to spend about $200 or so. I know I know. Supposed to spend a fortune on a scope. I'm not looking for superb swiss quality for 1000 yard dime shooting. Just need something low power, clear enough and reliable.

Not what you want to hear, but just buy a decent 2-7X scope and mount it conventionally. You will be better off for any shooting situation either close and fast or long range precision.

You don't have to spend $500 to get a quality scope, and $200 is pretty much the bottom rung on the ladder as far as being acceptable.

My standard advice on scopes is the Leupold VX-2 line at around $300. You can spend $600 and only get a very slightly better scope. You can spend $250 and not get 1/2 the scope. I'd find a way to squeeze $100 more into my budget.

Not what you want to hear, but just buy a decent 2-7X scope and mount it conventionally. You will be better off for any shooting situation either close and fast or long range precision.

Having now owned a Remington 600 308 set up using the scout concept for over six years I have to agree. Additionally, forward scope mounting makes you more susceptible to issues at first light and at dusk (when, in my experience, you are most likely to shoot at game).

If however you want to set up the Ruger in the scout configuration I can highly recommend the Burris scout scope. I know the Leupold is an exception scope also.

I am currently putting together my replacement for my scout rifle and am going with the Leupold VXIII 2.5 X 8 this time.

Leupold

I'm running a Leupold IER 2.75x "scoutscope" on a Savage w/ no complaints. Mounted with Leupold QD lever rings, and a beefy German #1 reticle.

I read that Leupold has a 1-4x IER, and a bit more magnification can be useflu, but I have not seen the scope in person.

Oh no. Was all set to get a GSR and was scope/sling shopping. Read a couple articles online basically saying scout scope setups are a waste. What is the issue at dawn/dusk? Glare? Too much/not enough light?

I have had good luck using Bushnell Trophy XLT 2-6x32 pistol scopes on my M/N and 98K using S&K scout mounts. Both have held up to a couple thousand rounds in each rifle without incident. They shoot great offhand on 2x but 6x is nice for shooting off a bench for groups. For ~$175, they fit your budget nicely.

Thanks for the specific scope recommendations.

Overall though...What is the issue at dawn/dusk? Glare? Too much/not enough light?

I understand any setup has it's drawbacks. I'm extremely interested in using a scout scope, yet I read people basically saying not to waste my time with the scout setup at all.

Nothing wrong with a scout setup. I have a 2.5-8x Nikon pistol scope on an M1 Garand for plinking and testing handloads. The higher the power used the less light gathered and usually the eye relief gets shorter. If you are wanting maximum precision for sighting in loads from a bench in good light than 7x or 8x can be useful. For general shooting a cheaper fixed 2x or 4x is about perfect, or a 1.5-5x.

Pistol scopes have longer eye relief than scout scopes and there is a greater selection in power and prices.

To maintain the scout mount location, I decided to try an EOTech, and have been very happy. A friend threw a Aimpoint on his, and is also satisfied. I've seen the "traditional" mount location by adding the XS Sights rail - the nicest setup I've seen using that arrangement had a US Optics mounted up top.

Personally, I know the GSR is capable of longer range shots, I have mine set up for shorter range shooting - relying on my customized 700-5R for longer range/accuracy shots.

YMMV

What steps needs to be done to mount a scope scout style on another rifle? I was contemplating buying a savage axis, it comes predrilled but that is over the action, what parts do I need to mount the scope scout style?

Overall though...What is the issue at dawn/dusk? Glare? Too much/not enough light?

The primary issue is you are much more susceptible to glare, particularly with a setting sun. With a conventionally mounted scope your head shields the eye piece from the sun. A scout scope is more susceptible to glare from because your head is much further from the eye piece. In my opinion scout scopes also do not perform as well in low light.

I understand any setup has it's drawbacks. I'm extremely interested in using a scout scope, yet I read people basically saying not to waste my time with the scout setup at all.

If you are interested in the setup, try it... It may be perfect for YOU and that is what is important. I tried it and I like it, I just prefer a conventional set up for most applications.

Husqvarna

Try talking with http://xssights.com/

Back