Scope subjection to heavy recoil

TMoney

I'm shooting a Winchester model 70 in 7MM Rem Mag, and during a shoot, I will go through an easy 100 rounds. The scope I have (Tasco) came with the rifle and works well enought, but after 30 rounds or so, seems to begin rolling in the rings. I tighten them down - often, but I suppose I need to upgrade anyway. Let's keep it under $200.00; I'll need rings, too. I shoot at 100yd now but want to move out toward 2,3,4,5,etc., so I'd like a scope that can move with me. Thanks for the input. Terry

search some past threads, its like mining for gold.
That said, I start by degreasing all the inside surfaces of the rings and all threaded parts with carb cleaner or MEK. I use threadlocker (locktite) on the threads when everything is right. On a hard recoiling rifle or handgun I rough the inside of the rings with course emery screen and gouge with a file tang. It will scar your scope tube but it won't move when all done. I tend to mount what I want and leave it there forever.
a 7mm isn't terrible in the recoil dept.
for a few bucks over your 200, you can get a Leupold 3-9 variX II and a good set of rings.
I recently paid $207 for same scope.

Good advice from Kingcreek. I've a bud who wraps one layer of elctrician's tape around scope tube where rings will contact. Works for him but the degreaser bit above & making certain those screws are tight works plenty good. BTW, I've never used Loctite & good to go.

Too, Gungrabber (?) (or other similar degreasers) work as well as that nasty MEK, yuk!

Back