Scope sits low

ninosdemente

Scope purchased for a Marlin XT-22. The rings purchased makes the scope sit low where the action is near rubbing against the scope.

I check online and it seems that other people has also had this problem. Now I have not been able to find out what other rings I can purchase to have the scope sit higher.

I did read online that it can use https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009212194/weaver-top-mount-scope-base-12-gloss

Wanted to know if the weaver or different base would be the better option for raising the scope a bit more or if there are higher rings I can purchase? The rings I bought for $10.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Buy a set of Warne .22lr rings that are made for grooved receivers. They come in medium and high. Get the high ones. They cost twenty-nine bucks at Cabela's or from Amazon. They're way better rings than the ones you're using. FWIW, most shooters who target shoot want the scope as low as it can go as long as their head sits on the stock in line with the scope. As long as the bolt opens and the scope isn't touching the barrel, it's not a problem unless it's awkward for you to look through the scope.

I actually shot it this way, which was not a bother for me. But what I did notice is that with real time action movement it did end up rubbing against the scope. It has a small scuff where it rubbed against, not really bad, but would like and try to avoid.

Will look into the rings you suggested. Thanks for the help.

Perhaps this is a dumb question but is there an advantage to a low scope vs a high scope other than what you mentioned "head sits on the stock in line with the scope"?

Are these the rings you mentioned:
That's them. I ended up with a set of them on a new Anschutz 1416 HB and a CZ 455 American after trying a lot of other rings and rails. They're very secure and give adequate clearance for the scope bell on both guns. I ended up getting a much better "cheek weld" with these rings. Warne makes very good products....and right here in the good old USA besides.

It doesn't look as though the scope itself is touching; only the lens cap. That's unimportant. You don't have a problem unless it's too low for a proper cheek weld.

As long as you can see daylight between the scope bell and the barrel, you're good to go.

Thanks for the help NoSecondBest.

Art Eatman, yes the cap not worried about it. The scope does have a scuff, which I did not provide above. Perhaps I just did not correctly placed the scope before the first time as I did mess with it yesterday to avoid rubbing.

In my opinion, going to the Weaver bases and (for example) Leupold Rifleman rings, is a worthwhile upgrade over a grooved-receiver setup.

Where is the "scuff" The only place I see an issue is the frong sight and I can't see that well.

Can it be taken off?

For other and the OP. Warned ahs a ring match App on their site. Tells you what rings will fit what rifle.

I doubt you need high, medium maybe.

There is no way a 22 is going to cause any scuff if it clears non fired. Center fired maybe if close enough.

Warnes are really good to go, get from Sportsman's Warehouse if you do, they have by far the best prices.

In my opinion, going to the Weaver bases and (for example) Leupold Rifleman rings, is a worthwhile upgrade over a grooved-receiver setup.
I just took a set of new Weaver Grand Slam bases off my Anschutz rifle and replaced them with a set of Warnes like I have on my CZ. The Weaver bases put the scope out of alignment and my scope would not adjust down far enough to hit at 50 yards. FWIW, it's a new Leupold scope and it works on my other guns....it's not the scope, it's the weaver bases. I'm not a Weaver fan at this point. There is nothing wrong with the Warnes designed for the grooved receiver. They're very rugged and lots of shooters around here in our leagues are using them.

It's solvable !!!

You don't have a problem unless it's too low for a proper cheek weld.
This is a an important point and right now, where is you "natural" cheek-weld?
Prevention of scuff marks can be protected with black electrical or clear tape. Theoretically, the closer you can get to the barrel, the better but you have to determine just what you can live with. I had a situation where I could not install the cap and chose to cut a small portion so it with fit the bell and clear the barrel. My cheek weld was very good and that's why I chose this option.... :rolleyes:

Another option is see-thru rings and that will get you higher. Personally, I don't care for them ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Does the scope get in the way when you try to remove the bolt for cleaning?

Nino said:
Perhaps this is a dumb question but is there an advantage to a low scope vs a high scope other than what you mentioned "head sits on the stock in line with the scope"?

There are some advantages, but none of them outweigh a comfortable fit and being able to clean your rifle.

I went to Cabelas and did a comparison of the Warne (Medium) with the Redfield and they seem near the same height. They did not have the high in stock.

I just went to the Warne's site and it mentioned to use low rings.

FWIW: Rifle fit and cheek weld.

Close your eyes and raise the rifle to your shoulder so it's ready to shoot. Then open your eyes. You should be looking through the sights (iron or scope) without moving your head. If no sights, then right down the centerline of the barrel.

Same for a shotgun, except that if you see all the rib the drop is not enough and you'll shoot low. If you can't see the front bead sight the drop is too much and you'll shoot high.

There are all sorts of dovetail mount rings available.
Getting the scope at the proper height for eye alignment is the important thing.
The scope on my Ruger 77/22 has a "contact mark" on the eye piece from the bolt handle kissing it but still works fine after 20 years.

Generally speaking, I like my scopes mounted as low as "practical". If you can't remove the bolt without removing the scope, it's probably mounted too low to be practical. Slightly higher rings seem to be in order for your set-up.

Back