Scope sighting issue

sfwusc

I am about 10 inches high at 100 yards and evaluation is at the bottom. It won’t go any lower.

Can changing the rings fix this?

You could shim your front mount, but the easiest thing is to get some rings with inserts. I will have to search my log, but I had a similar problem several years ago. Solved it with the ring inserts. Before you move on this, double check that nothing else is wrong.

Last edited:
STOP.

What rifle?
What rings?
What rail?
What difference in physical height front-to-rear?

Last edited:
Agree

STOP.
What rifle?
What rings?
What rail>
What difference in physical height font-to-rear

Yes sir, could use more info and have always been able to resolve my scope problems without the use of shims. Have you tried any kind of bore-sighting. All my efforts when dealing with optics, is never a waste of my time. ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last thing I saw at (my) range was a guy with a brand new REM 700, brand new Leuopold,
brand new rings and brand new rail. Couldn't adjust the scope down further from 10" high at 50.

anyone care to tell me what the PROBLEM was ?

;) :mad:

postscript:
He was a really nice guy "...with my first precision rifle."
But some yahoo sold him something they didn't
understand the implications of either.

Last edited:
Remington 700 BDL 30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm Riflescope
Weaver 1 inch rings (I had them from the previous scope)

I know I must be missing something, but if your reticle is bottomed out, then raising it up would lower your bullet impact- right?

Is the reticle as low as it will go in the bottom portion of your scope viewing area? or is it scrunched up at the top?

OP said:
... [elevation] is at the bottom. It won’t go any lower.
10-96 said:
Is the reticle as low as it will go in the bottom portion of your scope viewing area?
The reticle, per se, isn't bottomed out. In fact the as-viewed reticle never moves at all.
It's always in the center of the Field of View in a modern scope.

What the OP is describing is a scope misaligned/tilted down in relation to the barrel itself.
Given a 700, uniform rings, and assuming rail is flat (no riser in the rear), I suspect the
rear ring is not fully seated in the groove.

Ka9sCUz.jpg

I think it is seated in the grooves and the rings look equal. I know a fraction of a inch is likely enough to be 10 inches at 100 yards.

Sitting back and just looking at things, the scope appears to be pointing down.

Looking closer, the rear ring is a full dime's width off the rear of the receiver,
while front ring is in full contact with the front of the receiver.

rem700receiverrings.jpg

I might be thinking about this wrong but if the scope is pointed down —- I should be have them problem I am having.

I can’t make it go lower and it is still 10 inches high. I was thinking the back going higher would help fix my issue.

Last thing I saw at (my) range was a guy with a brand new REM 700, brand new Leuopold,
brand new rings and brand new rail. Couldn't adjust the scope down further from 10" high at 50.

anyone care to tell me what the PROBLEM was ?

;) :mad:

postscript:
He was a really nice guy "...with my first precision rifle."
But some yahoo sold him something they didn't
understand the implications of either.
I had an issue like this once. In my case, the front ring was not set all the way down onto the front base. When I realized this issue I felt stupid. Fixed the position of that ring and the problem was resolved.

I might be thinking about this wrong but if the scope
is pointed down —- I should[n't]be hav[ing] the problem
I am having. I can’t make it go lower and it is still
10 inches high. I was thinking the back going higher
would help fix my issue.
That would make it still worse.

The scope is now pointing down -- at a lower aim point; while
the barrel is actually pointing up -- to the real impact point.

You need to lower the scope rear (or raise the front) so the scope
is pointing to where the barrel is sending the bullet.

Is there any chance that front rail is on upside down?

Last edited:
I don't know for sure this addresses your problem,but it might.

You might want to just start over with the whole installation.

Bases to receiver-- Are the bases accurately cut to to match the receiver?
You may not believe it,but I have seen bases that were horribly mis contoured.

We take for granted we can just screw on scope bases,good to go. Thats not always true. Most folks don't have the tools,but I set up the receiver on a surface plate and run a dial indicator over the bases front to back and side to side. After all,its MY rifle I'm setting up. From the rear base through the front base,I want it flat within .001. If its not,I use a fixture to hold the base vertical by the surfaces the ring clamps to, I preset a boring head to match the receiver radius and I remachine the bases.

That done,I make sure the screw threads are bottom tapped and the screw lengths are correct.

That done,I put a drop of sleeve and bearing mount Loctite between the base and receiver and some blue paste/stick type loctite on the screw threads.

I screw the bases on,then recheck with the indicator everything is within .001 before the Loctite sets up.

After a few hours, Having already marked the ring cap orientation,I inspect the mating precision surfaces,then install the ring lower halves to the mounts

I tighten them securely,then I give them a few strokes with my ring lapping bar. As the rings are usually blued inside, I can quickly see if the lower ring saddles are true,or need more lapping.That done,I'll put the ring upper halves on to see if they need work. They seldom need much.

All that done,I can set eye relief and level the reticle, Last,I focus the ocular on the reticle while looking at the sky (infinity)

Note,before I install a barrel,I square the front face of the receiver ring. This helps the barrel point in the right direction.

I generally don't have any scope problems since I adopted this process.

I'm also not flexing the tube of an over $1000 scope built to internal tolerances that may be less than .001 as I tighten my rings and mounts.

OK. Not everyone can do all that.

But you can check back over the base to receiver install, Lay a straight edge on the bases. Look for light gaps.

Fit the lower halves of the rings onto the bases and secure them. Then lay the scope in the saddles. Does it seem the rings are aligned? If not,you may need a lapping bar. If its OK,install your ring caps. Once you have level and eye relief,tighten slowly for even gaps at the split,

If the rings are tight on the scope before you mate and tighten then to the bases,they may not mate properly. that can cause your problem.

I just took a close look at your photo. Take your calipers and measure the front and rear receiver ring diameters. Are they the same? (They may not be) IF they are the same, your front and rear bases should be the same height. In your photo,the rear one looks taller. That may be the problem.

Verify you have the right part numbers,

Last edited:
Back