Scope set-up

unclejack37

I'm trying to set my scope on my 10/22 for 100 yards or more. The only problem I have is seeing where the bullet hit on the target. All I have is binoculars but I'm thinking of purchasing something else. A friend mentioned using a CCD camera with bluetooth to my smart phone. Is anyone aware of DIY range camera. People suggested using old 35 mm photo lens on the camera lens of a smart phone. At 100 or more yards that would be a pretty long lens

Personally i'd recommend a spotting scope.

I got a Simmons 20-75X60 that i picked up for $40.
Did ok for the range out to about 300 yards.

I have since upgraded to a Celestron C70. I got it from Amazon for $90.
Huge improvement!

I use a white or off white background target to see those little holes, helps when the sun is just right. Or use those "splatter" targets, but makes it hard to get a good group with RF due to the paper composition IMO.

Should be able to find an inexpensive spotting scope for the same as a camera lens unless you happen to have one in the house.

An el-cheapo camera tripod and an el-cheapo telescope from Wally solves the problem.

My scope is a nominal 20-60 deal, but it goes wonky above 40X. Howsomever, 40X is
plenty good enough. :)

Lower end spotting scopes work fine at 20-30x for 100 yards paper. Get a cheap cellphone mount for the spotting scope from eBay/amazon and you’re set.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

If you choose your targets carefully you should be able to see 22 caliber holes at only 100 yards with your scope. Some targets are too "busy" with a lot of colors which hides small holes. I quite often simply use white paper plates with a 1/2"-1" colored dot in the middle. Bullet holes in the white background show up easily.

I've replaced my range use spotting scope several times over about 30 years. I'm now using a 15-45x60 and it's a big improvement over the older 25x especially when looking for those tiny 17 caliber holes. Biggest issue with the higher X scopes is holding them still enough to utilize the higher X.

If you're going to be shooting your gun at 100 yards and don't want to buy a spotting scope, get a rifle scope with more magnification. I shoot a lot of .22lr and at that distance I can see the holes pretty easily with my scope set on 10 or 12 power. As mentioned above, don't use targets with a lot of markings on them. White or off-white targets and put a red stick on bullseye on the target. The holes also show up well on the red.

curious

I have a pair of .22's zeroed at 100, for a very specific purpose, practice on a cow bell target at that distance (100).

But for all my other .22 rifles, they are zeroed "on" at 50, which seems about right for all the other .22 shooting I do.

Most curious , is there a specific reason you are zeroing at 100 instead of closer with a .22?

"Most curious , is there a specific reason you are zeroing at 100 instead of closer with a .22?"

If for target use only, a 100 yard zero is acceptable. I'/we shoot quite a bit @100 yards with 22's and I change my zero to that range rather than try to "hold over" on the itty bitty targets we use. If shooting sub-sonic, maintaining correct holdover can be challenging.
For field use, my normal zero is 50 yards for HV and 25 for sub-sonic.

With my old eye, even with glasses, it's hard for me to see bullet holes at 100 yards with my 12 power scopes.

I use the backs of old blueprints with a 1" stick on orange dot.
Inexpensive to be sure. But with a spotter, we regularly take 22lr out to 300 yards.

Honestly this old man shoots a group then walks down to see what I did. I figure it gets me some exercise. The gun range I go to i am usually the only one there and can do that safely

Plain white paper with dot stickers works for me or those splatter burst targets. I don't have a spotting scope and sometimes binoculars or my rifle scope is adequate, but often it's not.
I have my scope zeroed at 50 yards. The cross hairs are thin in the middle and thicker toward the outside. I've learned that at 100 yards, if I hold the verticle crosshair where it gets fat on my target, it's spot on. Very convenient.

Back