scope rings for savage model 111

dolph

Inactive
I have a model 111 savage 270 thats about 10 or 15 years old .and it does have the very high front sights on it and a rear sight , im going to buy a
Nikon Pro Staff Riflescope for it, 3x9x40. I had a raised mount on it previously. one that you could look under the scope to shoot close, I dont like it so im changing it.
what would be a good set of rings to buy for it. I have a set of weaver 1" medium rings so I put them on and just put back on an old tasco scope to see how that would fit but the scope bell touched the bottom brackets. I guess I might need something just a tad higher. any suggestions. thanks

Wait, do you mean the scope bell touches the bottom half of the rings like the rings are too far apart for the scope tube length? Or the bell hits the action/barrel because the rings are too low? If it's ring spacing then a lot of times on the savage long action you will want to use a one piece scope base mount so you can move the rings closer together, because the rings are too far apart to accomodate scopes with shorter tubes when you use the factory scope mount bases. If that is not what you are talking about then I am confused because I used weaver medium height rings on both my savages with 3x9x40 scopes and the scope height is just right.

Last edited:
monkey, Its the scope base mounts, its 2 pcs that the scope hits. I guess I need to put a one piece mount on. the above post mentions EGWguns.com one piece mount. how do I find which one is the right one for my savage? I went to usa midway and theres like 2 pages of them.
should I just get a hold of them and tell them what my gun is.

There are 4 choices in mount:
  1. Long action, round top receiver
  2. long action, flat top receiver
  3. short action, round top receiver
  4. short action, flat top receiver

Savage 111 is a long action. By looking at your rifle, you will be able to tell if the receiver aft of the port has a round top or a flat top.

There are several choices for mount cant angle so you don't bottom out your scope's vertical adjustment when trying to dial in distant targets:
  1. 0 MOA, used for most hunting and target shooting out to 600 yards
  2. 10 MOA, allows target shooting out to 800-1000 yards
  3. 20 MOA, allows target shooting beyond 1000 yards

how do I find which one is the right one for my savage? I went to usa midway and theres like 2 pages of them.
If you have the accutrigger on your savage it has a round rear reciever. If it's the old model before the accutrigger its the flat reciever. And since your rifle is chambered in .270 it's a long action. So for example if your gun has the accutrigger you would select the round reciever, long action mount like this one. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=632224
If you have the older style savage without the accutrigger then you would use this one http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=447963. Hope this helps.

Dolph the best thing for you to do is to take rifle in hand and beat feet to the local gunsmith.;) Because you will definatley sleep at nights knowing your set up is right... There are alot of problems inherant of a scope-mounting job gone awry.:rolleyes: There is a fine line when it comes to fit and usefullness!!!!:) Good luck and happy shootin dude!!!:D

thanks guys for the tips, theres just so many out there and different kinds it just confuses you sometimes.

Is this normal?

I have this same model and cal. : Savage 111, .270, non-accu-trigger. It is round in front of the ejector area, but flat behind the port. AND THERE SEEMS TO BE A 1/32" STEP UP from the rear receiver area up to the front. Is there a special one-piece scope-mount for this critter? Or is it broken? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back