Scope Ring and Base Recommendations

Martowski

Hi All,

Wondering your thoughts on scope rings and bases for a Savage 110? Looking for something strong and economical. I can get the Leupold one piece base and standard rings for about $40 total. But, wondering if there is a better recommendation in a similar price range?

Not looking for something "tactical", etc. Putting this on a .270 with a Nikon 4-12x for general hunting.

Thanks!

I like a one piece base for the Savage long action. It helps to position the scope closer to your eye, but a base alone will exceed th $40.00. So, No I don't have a better recommendation based on the price you suggested.

Long action Savage rifles can be challenging. The spacing between the front and rear rings is much greater than other rifles and many scopes simply won't fit without special bases that usually hang over the ejection port.

I normally much prefer 2 piece mounts with Talley lightweights my preferred mount. But on a Savage I'd look hard at DNZ. Not as cheap as what you're looking at, but good no nonsense mounts. Around $50

Strong and Economical don't always belong in the same sentence when talking about most firearms related things.

The last scope mount I installed was a one-piece DNZ. I was very impressed. Not terribly expensive, easy to work with, and rock solid.

Thanks. By economical I mean to imply that I'm not looking for top of the line premium mounts and rings, but rather something that strikes a good "sweet spot" for quality and value.

Jmr40 has the ticket there for Savage rifles. The DMZ Game Reaper line is easy to install, and their perfect for your application, look to spend around 55.00 but you wont be disappointed, my son has a set on his Savage 111, 7mm rem mag and it's totally stout.

I prefer the two-base mounts, mostly for the easier access into the magazine.

Weaver mounts aren't the prettiest, but I've been using them since the 1950s and have never had the first sign of a problem. Survived some 4,000 rounds through my pet '06.

Bases on my savages are evoloution gun works 1 pc.

http://www.egwguns.com/savage/

I have 2 savage long actions . I have bushy elite 4x12x40s on mine . After fighting with my 30 06 fir a year I finally ponied up and got a egw one piece base . With the Burris rings the mounting set up host me 70 . I learned with the 06 not to go cheap in rings and mounts . On the savage pony up on the 1 piece base and be done .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my 111 in 7mm Rem Mag, i went with a Weaver solid base.
I ground the front, and rear 2 lugs(for lack of a better term) down and touched them up with some black paint.
Then using release agent on the reciever, i bedded the base to it. (Litterally only takes about a drop on each end).
I'm not sure whos rings i have. Bought off of Optics Plannet. They have six screws to hold the scope.
Rings were lapped, Vortex Diamondback installed using 20 lb inch torque.
Scope has never budged.

Saving up to get an EGR 20 MOA solid base.

Anybody mount a Nikon Monarch 5 to a 110 with a DNZ setup? I've got one on order and I'm hoping it'll fit ok.

Burris Extreme Tactical are what I prefer to use when mounting a scope on a Savage with a blind magazine. I know it says tactical in the name, but it gives more flexibility when mounting a scope than a normal two piece base. I also prefer Burris Signature rings that use the plastic insert.

Just saying, if it is helpful, my Warne QR mounts do in fact return to zero or close enough to not matter. Very high quality and USA made.

$40 for Leopold ring and bases? Does not sound right

I like Warner Rings and bases, usually best place to buy at best cost is Sportsman's.

Nice solid steel.

I target shoot (3 Savages I built up, two long and one short Action) so in the end I went with a rails (also Warne) that had more adjustment for it, but for hunting the standards ones are fine.

I prefer the two-base mounts, mostly for the easier access into the magazine.

Full length Rail type gets in the way of the port a bit, as I single shoot its not an issue.

They make special cut out types as well, but cost more.

Back