Scope recommendation

stan5677

Picking up a Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM. Looking for scope recommendations and i'm not looking to spend more than 600 use will be 400 and in on whitetail mainly.

What are you intrested in for a power range? A basic 3-9X40 would cover your needs and stay well within a $600 budget. However with your budget, you have more options than a basic scope.

What are you intrested in for a power range? A basic 3-9X40 would cover your needs and stay well within a $600 budget. However with your budget, you have more options than a basic scope.

Looking for something with no more than 12x magnification.

Are you wanting adjustable turrets to dial? Or moa/mil markings to hold over? Any weight goals or limitations? Ffp/sfp? Adjustable parallax? Illuminated reticle?

9X on the top end is more than enough for 400 yards and under on big game. Most scopes with 12X on the top end are going to be 4X or more on the low end. You'll find 3X more useful than anything over 9X or 10X. A 3-9X40 or similar is going to give you the most scope for the dollar.

These have been discontinued and are selling at bargain prices. Normally sold at $200 and IMO it is a better scope than a $400 Leupold. I just bought 2 of them to get one while they are still out there.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-3-9x40mm-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.html

Are you wanting adjustable turrets to dial? Or moa/mil markings to hold over? Any weight goals or limitations? Ffp/sfp? Adjustable parallax? Illuminated reticle?

This is going to be my first hunting setup so really just want to keep it simple with a decent price and good reliability. Would prefer adjustable turrets to dial for hold over.

You’d like a Leupold 4.5-14 VX3 with CDS. I have the VX5 version, 3-15, and am very happy with it. Send them the required data and get a free turret to match the ballistics of your rifle/cartridge/bullet.

I would take a good look at the Meopta Optika6 and Sightron optics. Sightron from Cameralandny.com.

Unfortunately, many quality optics are not sold locally. I suspect profit margins are lower than what you see in the case.

Id look at the leupold vx freedom series. They have a 3-9 or 4-12. They have 1in or 30mm scope bodies. They have an adjustable paralax and turrets. And you can get standard duplex or moa marked reticles.

Its within budget at between 400-500 depending on your options selected. Its also fairly light at around 14-16 oz. And leupold has great glass quality.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020316114

I have bought many scopes over the years. I have sorely regretted many of them. I have never regretted buying a leupold.

I also have some primary arms optics. They are amazing glass for the money, just heavy. My 4-14x44 weighs in at 24oz

I have had vortex a crossfire 3-9 and damondback 4-12. I did not like the click adjustments on the crossfire. Mushy and indistinct. Both optics had what i considered to be poor glass quality.

Good luck with your setup, i hope you find a good scope that meets your needs and it serves you well for many good hunts!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. What I have my eyes on and what I feel comfortable paying are the leupold vx-3hd, gpo passion 3x, meopta optika5, maven crs.1, and bushnell engage

Midway has a Vortex Viper HS 2.5×10-44 for 259.00 free shipping... I own one now and have owned 3 of these, they are really nice for the price... They are a 30 mm tube..

IMO the leupold VX3HD series and the older VX3i scopes are excellent for the money. I have several of each of them and they are ideal for deer hunting

i also have a leupold vx3hd on my xbolt 7-08 and I just ordered another for my 25-06, i went with the 50 mm objective. Great scopes that wont break the bank

The last scope I bought is a Minox 2.5 to 10X. Lightweight and very nice sharp lenses. I plan to put it on a Winchester Featherweight 7x57 I have.

I like Leupold scopes and have a few in 3x9X mounted on rifles. Leupold has a great warranty too. I've had three Leupolds go toes up on me, two at the range and one on a hunt. I made the luckiest shot of my life when that scope died. I had a shot at a cow elk so opted to take it even though I though 350 yards according to the guides laser range finder. I shot and the reticle in the scope disappeared. The elk sat down on her haunches and then laid the rest of the way down. I was holding on the upper part of her chest and the bullet broke her neck about four inches below where the neck joins up with the skull. The 225 gr. TSX did its job and more. I sent the scope in and Leupold had to replace the entire mechanism that controls elevation and windage.

No complaints with Minox as well.Turns out the windage didn't work properly. Like with Leupold, I sent the scope in and got it back repaired in just about two weeks.

I have a couple of Burris Fullfield !! 3x9s as well and they're very nice scopes for their price range. Funny thing is I use the 9X for sighting in and the 3X when I hunt. Even that 350 yard shot on the cow elk was done at 3X.
Paul B.

Back