Scope rail mount

ninosdemente

Purchased a new rifle and scope rail mount a couple of weeks ago and just will start to install.

Is there something that one can use at home to clean the oil from the screw for mounting rail and on top of receiver? Is it necessary and just install without any cleaning?

Thanks in advanced.

Use some kind of degreaser, automotive break cleaner works well.
The. Use blue loctite when installing the screws, a little goes a long way.
Then torque to spec and if you remove, clean off the old loctite, use new loctite to reinstall.

precision_shooter, thanks for the help. I do have the blue loctite and a fat wrench. Hopefully I have the brake cleaner. Thanks again.

I had bad experiences with brake cleaner, while they DO degrease the surface really well many leave some kind of white residue that will prevent loctite from really sticking to the metal. (that will also foil your re-bluing attempts, don't ask how I know) And on top of that said residue, whatever it is, is kind of hard to remove with cloth.

I recommend a pure degreaser, not brake cleaners.

Acetone is a good de-greaser, but definitely not for indoor use. It is available even at Wally World.

Regular gun cleaning solvent will do it. So will mineral spirits. Brake cleaner is really for carbon.
"...pure degreaser..." Dish soap. As daft as that sounds. It's why Dawn is used to clean oily ducklings.

Back