Scope question

NHSHOOTER

Just bought a new scope for my model 7 Remington, 50 mm objective, is there a way to measure what height mounts I will need? The scope is enroute, not here until Friday.

Most of the better scope manufacturers have charts of some type on their websites, somewhere. Just gotta find em.
Also the better ring/mount manufactures. Warne, Vortex, Leupold.

You can also check Midwayusa, Optics Planet, etc.

Bear in mind, if you mix bases and rings it will throw your chart off.
Good example is EGW base with dang near any ring manufacturer.
EGW just sits high. Good base, just tall.

With 50mm, I suspect you are going to need Tall - maybe even Extra Tall. I've got a Remington 7 with Leupold QD rings. My scope is a 33mm objective. I first had low rings on it and they fit. However, there was not enough room to squeeze in a flip-up cover. I had to go up to medium.

The biggest drawback to a high scope mount is that you might have to have your cheek off of the stock's comb in order to aim through it. They make comb raising pads for shotguns to make the gun fit the shooter.

"...going to need Tall - maybe even Extra Tall..." It's high or extra high, but still the 50mm objective lens needs high rings to clear the chamber area of the barrel. The bases are the same though. Rings don't go by what rifle, but the bases do.
As mentioned there are charts everywhere.

Wow... You mean the low rings that i have installed for my Sightron S-TAC4-20X50 don't fit???

Now what ever will i do?

As i said, it depends on your rifle action height, barrel contour, stock , and height of your base.

"...going to need Tall - maybe even Extra Tall..." It's high or extra high
Semantics won't get the scope mounted. What height scope rings depends on the bases and rings you install, as well as the barrel profile. Measure the objective bell of the scope, then divide that number in half. Measure the height of your bases, and look up the height of the rings you have chosen. Half the bell measurement should be about the same as the height of the bases and scope rings to the centerline of the scope.

Warne has an on line app that reference their bases and rings with a scope size and objective.

They also make very solid bases and rings. Sportsmans for some reason has by far the best price. They are steel (or the ones I have seen) and those usually are more expensive.

I want to thank you all for the feedback. The new scope came in the mail the other day, I took the old one off (it had a 45mm objective) and what looked like low leupold rings, of course the 50 mm objective was sitting on the barrel. Just as I was heading to the LGS to get some new rings I checked my (old ring collection) and there was a set of high rings. Problem solved, scope mounted with enough room for the flip up cover and upon shouldering the rifle all is as it should be..Tomorrow it goes to the field for sight-in..

The way you determine base and ring height is to place a ball of modeling clay on top of each mount point. Level the receiver and place the scope on the modeling clay and put the level on top of the elevation turret.

Push down until the front objective is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch from the barrel keeping it level.

Look at your clearance all around and if it's good, remove the scope and then carefully remove the modeling clay and measure the thickness at the center of the depressions. That will be your optimum ring height.

Now go find a set of bases and rings that come close to your optimum height. You probably wont find an exact match but you should be able to get really close.

Back