scope problem

rebs

I bought a Nikon rim fire rifle scope in 3-9x40 for 22 lr. At 50 yds or more it is fine but when I went to shoot indoors at the 50 ft range it will not focus properly. I tried with it set on 3x all the way to 9x. I can get either the crosshairs or target very clear but not both. Is this a problem with the scope or is the parallax not set right ?

50 FOOT range ? If that is correct, then that is the problem. Parallax on that scope will be either 50 YARDS, or possibly 100 YARDS. At 50 feet, no way the target will be in perfect focus, unless the scope was equipped with AO - Adjustable Objective (so that you could adjust the parallax to match the distance). The focus ring on the ocular (eyepiece) is only designed for getting the CROSSHAIRS into focus - NOT the target.

You are trying to work beyond the capabilities of that particular scope, it's as simple as that. Nothing wrong with the scope - it just isn't designed for shooting at that kind of distance.

Yes eyepiece adjustment is only foe cross-hair sharpness.
Here's a possibility for you. If you have a camera try the "close up lens set" that lets you take close up pictures.
Its basically 3 different sets of "reading glasses", you might find that one (or more) of them will give you an acceptable fix if the size is right.

I can use a different Nikon 3-9 x 40 scope on the indoor range (50FT) and it is sharp up to 4 power. So why not the Nikon 22 rim fire scope on 3 or 4 ? I am thinking more like the rim fire scope is defective ?
I also have a Leupold 2-7 scope that is clear all the way up to 7 power on the 50 ft indoor range.

I am thinking more like the rim fire scope is defective ?

Not defective - just not as well made. With few exceptions, rimfire scopes just aren't made to the high standards required of a centerfire scope. That is reflected in the significantly lower price.

I called Nikon and they emailed me a packing slip and shipping label. It is on its way back to Nikon.

Back