scope problem ?

cw308

Had a new barrel installed, when I reinstalled the same mount & scope I ran out of lower adjustment at 100 yards. Shoots a nice tight group only 6" to high. I'm stumped

Somehow, the new barrel is pointing too high above the receiver axis the scope bases are put on.

Did the 'smith square up the receiver face with its barrel tenon threads? That sometimes causes this problem when those threads' axis is way off from the receiver axis by too much of an angle.

It often can be fixed by proper shimming both bases; front more than rear but keeping them aligned so the rings don't dent the scope tube.

Ask the 'smith about a free fix.

Last edited:
The rifle is a Rem.700 LTR. When I sent the rifle to the gunsmith I had him true the receiver, bolt & lug. The only thing I could think of is a month before I changed the barrel out I moved the elevation cap to zero at 200 yards. I readjusted the scope to center. total clicks top to bottom was 210, centered a 105 till the next range trip. I may have overtightened the screw on the elevation knob,I'm not sure if that could of caused it. Also the barrel that I replaced is a standard heavy to the M24 contoure ( Rock Creek ).

First, uninstall it and make sure everything is right.

Put the gun in a vise or a rest where it can sit securely. Level it, front to back. Put the base on. Check level. Put the scope on, check level.

2 piece base? Can they be swapped front-back?

Being so far out of wack that max adjustment leaves you 6" high at 100 should be VISIBLY out of alignment, even without a level.

If the scope had 40 MOA adjustment from center, the barrel would have to be pointing nearly 4 FEET higher than the scope.

Brian the base is a IBA 1 piece mount & rings, Rings come lapped with a 20 MOA taper. The scope ( Bushnell Elite 4.5 x 24 ) has 26.7 MOA 1/8 per click. Would be fine if I shot only 500 yards, but the range is 200 yards max. The crazy thing is, it seemed to happen after I zeroed the elevation cap to the zero mark . I could not zero at 100 yard, which was OK because I was hitting 2.5" high at 100 yards, and zero a 200. I mostly shoot 200 yds. Now at 200 yards I'm still high with no adjustment. I'm hoping I bound something when I moved the cap to zero, I do have a tendency to over tighten things.

Well now... you left out some pertinent information the first time.;)

First, I wouldn't be using a 20MOA base for 200 yard shooting.... or even 500 yard shooting. I'd get some of these... NOT "silver" though.

Second, 20MOA at 100 yards is essentially 20 inches. If the scope only has 26" of adjustment.... you've only got 13" from center.... you should be about 7" off at max adjustment.

" mostly shoot 200 yds. Now at 200 yards I'm still high with no adjustment. I'm hoping I bound something when I moved the cap to zero, I do have a tendency to over tighten things."
So why do you have 20MOA built into your mounts?

Kind of like saying you're wearing 3 pairs of socks and asking why your shoes feel tight.

Brian your 100% right. I did have alittle adjustment both ways before I reset that cap. I just cannot see by resetting the cap would cause the problem but thats when it happened. That's why I centered the scope for the next range trip. Thanks for the DNZ base info, it doesn't say if there steel. Hav you used them. thanks Chris

They are aluminum. I have a set on my Savage and like them a lot. Their "silver" versions that are supposed to match stainless steel are the worst match to any variety of stainless I've ever seen and their customer "service" is beyond ridiculous. I do recommend the black though.

If you no longer need the built in elevation, a new set of mounts is in order. Having the scope cranked to it's limit is not really an acceptable situation.

I ordered steel Rings & Base without elevation built in from Ken Ferrel. Talked to them about my problem, they were very helpfull. Has anyone delt with them. Thanks Chris

Back