scope power?

axis223

getting ready to buy a cva optima v2 50 cal and need a recommendation on scope power. I currently have a 3-9-40 on a 45-70 single shot and thinking put that on the ML and top the 45-70 with a 2-7-32 but part of me says the 2-7-32 will be too limiting with that rifle but im not sure.

I have it narrowed down to a burris shotgun scope, Nikon prostaff and vortex diamondback all in 2-7 power but what rifle should wear what power and why??

JMHO

but what rifle should wear what power and why??
Not a cop-out but it depends on the service and if hunting, what are you hunting. I see no problem with using the 2-7 on the Optima and I think I would prefer the 3-9, on the 45/70. I hunt Midwest Whitetails and even a four (4) works well for me.. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I have a 3x9x32 on mine and it seems to work great with the medium height scope mount and keeping irons on for those states that don't allow scopes for muzzleloader season.

Personally I probably wouldn't waste a ton of money on a scope for it due to the amount of bullet drop after a certain point. Unlike a 30-06 or similar that has flatter trajectory. I limit myself to 150 yards.

I think im using a $40 tasco scope but the thing I like besides ease of loading, ease of unloading without shooting is that my 50 yard 3 shot pattern is the size of a quarter.

Cheap scopes and heavy recoiling rifles are a bad idea. The 3-9x is way more scope than you can justify on either rifle. A 2-7X is a much better idea and a 1-4X better yet.

When shooting up close and fast a 1X scope is actually faster than iron sights. At 3X you have so much magnification that you can't find the target quickly up close. With the scope on 4X you have enough magnification to hit big game out to 300-400 yards. Much farther than either rifle is practical for.

A scope set on 2X is only slightly faster up close than one on 3X, but if you just can't pull the trigger on a 1-4X that would be my 2nd choice. They do also tend to be less expensive than a 1-4X. But the 1-4's are much lighter and more compact.

Some suggestions:

If you want a 2-7X this is the best bargain

http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44466.aspx

In a 1-4X or 1-3X my top picks

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-ShotgunMuzzleloader-Scope-P51851.aspx

http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx

One five separate elk hunts, my rifle has been topped with a 3x9 scope. Every time I've gotten a shot at an elk the scope has been set on 3X. Just never had the time to raise the power and one shot was at 350 yards. One shot and the elk died. The last several deer were taken with rifles with variables set at 3X or a plain fixed power 4X.
About the only time I have the variables cranked up to top power is at the range. I had a very old Leopold 2.5X on a 7x57 which I replaced with a 3x9X. Groups at 9X were not that much smaller than the ones with the old 2.5X Leupy. :eek: Of course, YMMV.
Paul B.

For MLs and such I am a fan of good fixed power scopes, or lower powered ones, however not a big fan of the 20mm objectives. I have a Bushnell 1.5 to 4 x 32 or something close to that. Fastest and handiest scope I have ever owned. However would want to shoot it several time on a .50 ML to make sure it would hold zero.

Couple of factors come into play when deciding of scope power. First is, how good is your eyesight, and secondly what is your intended use. Though other factors come into play as well like atmospheric conditions, it is not really advisable to have high magnification on scopes in very hot conditions as it only magnifies the haze and mirage on hot days.

My experience has shown me in the last 50 years that all kills on my hunts have been with the scope between 4 to 7 power. I do use higher magnification when I shoot paper because I like to go for groups or keeps me from having to use a spotting scope

I have had a 2-7 Nikon Prostaff on my 45-70 for years. While it certainly isn't a high end scope, it is definitely a nice step up from a "cheap" scope and has served me well. A few years ago, I had a few hogs walk out in front of my tree stand at 14 yards. At 26 yards, there was wall of brush you couldn't even through. 5 didn't make it and had I had another round in the rifle, number 6 wouldn't have either. 2X is plenty fast for hunting. When I went to get the truck, there were a couple of cotton tails about 80 or so yards up the trail. I turned the scope to 7x, found a rest, and scalped both of them. If I can hit the top of a rabbit's head at 7x, you can certainly shoot a deer out to a couple hundred yards at 7x. 3-9 isn't a whole lot different and they are extremely popular for a reason. They hit a nice sweet spot. Given the ranges and type game where a muzzleloader or 45-70 would be used, I think a 2-7 hits a similar sweet spot. Personally, I would leave the 45-70 alone if you are happy with it and pick up a new scope for the muzzleloader. I would probably go with a 2-7 but I see nothing wrong with a 3-9 either, especially if one has served you well where you hunt.

My father's experience was that 4X and 6X allowed one-shot kills to 500 yards. I found that 3X was no problem for a one-shot kill at 350, with POI being within an inch of what I intended.

A 3-9 is a good combo for both hunting at low power and seeing bullet holes in paper at 100 yards.

Personal opinion, but for deer hunting, most folks go overboard on what's actually needed. For prairie dogs? Sure, higher magnification is useful. :)

For those who don't have a muzzleloader the cva optima v2 50 cal isn't really a hard hitter to the shoulder. Yes more than a 22lr but with 100 grains of 777 powder and 250 grain hornady sabot the only thing that seemed intimidating was the cloud of smoke out the end.

I want to say I would compare it to a 30-30.

Back