Scope or new rifle...which to get?

Hueco

Alright, I need ya'lls opinion on something. I would really like to scope my #1, I think it would just look dashing with a 1-5.5x20 Vari-XIII. But since it really isnt a long-range gun, I hesitate because of the lack of usefullness of the scope. But still....

Or should I skip the scope and put the money towards a CZ550 416 Rigby? I would eventually scope that rifle for sure.

Thoughts?

Hueco

new gun... New Gun... NEW GUN... NEW GUN. :D

"Happinessssssss is a warm Gun!
Bang Bang, Shoot Shoot,

When I put my finger on your trigger...

In other words... scopes are nice but all they are are optical devices... firearms are soooooo much more. ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Go with a less expensive scope and get the rifle to. :D
I can relate to what you mean by it looking really dashing.....but lack of usefullness... I have a 1984 manufactured NIB S&W model 1500 Deluxe in 7 mag.. It will never be shot but I lie awake at night worrying about getting just the right scope for it. :o

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Why are you in need of a long range gun? If it was me I would go with the scope as my #1 (Win 270) is all I will ever need for hunting.

I know your #1 Ruger is a 458 Win. Mag.
If it were my choice, I'd put an aperture rear sight and a blade front sight on the single shot and keep its' trim, handy lines. This combination would improve its' accuracy over a bead and vee sight system, if that's what it has on it now. I don't know what aperture rear sights are available for Rugers.
I would definitely go with the Leupold Vari-XIII sight on a 416 Rigby. I would not trust a lesser scope on that big of a rifle. The one you mention is a classic for a big rifle and I think you would be happy with it.

Herodotus, is correct. I knew your #1 was in .458 but had forgotten when I read the post. :o A lesser scope probably would not survive. With that in mind disregard my above post.

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Buy the scope. I put the same scope on my #1 in .270 and it is a great choice because the long eye relief is needed because of the forward mounting required by the #1. The low power means you can hunt with both eyes open and the rifle is very fast to put on target. You will never go wrong buying good glass.

Back