SCOPE or DOT for .44 Mag

dewey

I'm just getting started in HANDGUN hunting
here in S.C.(it's THE state sport) I have a
S/W 29 w/6 inch tube. What do all you REAL hunters use ? I have a RED DOT on my MKII and have ordered a Burris 2X7. Which one should I use for deer ? My Ruger doesn't care what it carries as it will still group >> WAY << getter that I could ever hold.
Regards- gds

I use a 2X Burris on my 10" 44.Contender. I fooled with a reddot (PDP3) but it objected to the recoil, and I don't trust anything with batteries and circuits when it comes to hunting. If weather is so foul I don't trust a scope, then I use a .44 revovler with iron sights.
IMO,One of the big mistakes in hunting optics, esp handgun, is overpower. If a trophy jumps out of the woods and you're cranked up to seven (cause you been watchin squirrels) You going to see nothing but fast moving landscape until its too late.
well, you asked.

2.5X8LEO on my TC I like having the 8X for testing out new loads & always hunt with it a 2.5 (wish it would go down to 1.5 for reasons pointed out by Kingcreek. Too much at too close = too bad)

BTW, make sure your eye relief is set up for ALL your hunting postions. I blew a spike elk at about 15yds 'cause I couldn't get the right relief. 1/2 elk burned into my memory forever. :(

I use a 1X4 Tasco World Class on one of my Dan Wessons. It's held up well for several years now.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I use a Leupold 2X with my Blackhawk Hunter. I agree with not trusting electronics in the woods. You may check local game laws as well. I believe that Texas, for one, still has a ban on "any electronic site" for hunting "game animals".

2deer_99.jpg

'99 Snowstorm Buck, Ruger SBH "Hunter", 300gr XTP Handload

I used a 3x Tasco Pro-Class to get this buck. Have since switched it out for a Millett Redot sight (and I always carry an extra battery). With it I use a "both eyes open" technique, I think it's a big improvement, excellent at dawn/dusk.

I put the 3x on a .375 Winchester Contender barrel, the power goes better with that guns longer range potential. Have a 2x Leupold on my .44 Mag Contender.

Today I'm going hunting with the 3x .375 on a sling, and the Redot SBH in a holster. In my State it's legal to hunt 1/2 hour before/after dawn/dusk, so the Redot comes out at sundown, which is also when the deer tend to make an appearance. Wish me luck. -- Kernel

Great info from REAL hunters. Another site I
visit is full of revos nuts who smack-it-out
over who has the fastest badast 5,000 grain round/cannon. You gentlemen appear to be better informed and equiped.( NOTE KERNEL's
binoks).Thanks for direction...dewey

It's good to see a fair representation of Tasco scopes. Grew up using Tasco scopes, they have always been good enough for me and have never failed.
I put scopes on handguns according to the time of day, lighting condition and the distance I wish to shoot. An example, don't like to shoot more than 50 yards with a 357 Magnum and the conditions that I was using this gun under were poor. Deep woods in the early morning and late evening. Chose a 63mm dot sight scope from Tasco, named "Mr Pringles". These types of scope allow you to shoot in the lowest of lighting condition with no problems.

S&W627pc.JPG

Robert

Back