Scope on a Redhawk?

Mr. Tettnanger

I am trying to decide if I want to run open sights or to put a scope on my Redhawk?

I picked this up a few months ago and it had a HUGE clunky 2X6 scope on it. I have been going back and forth whether I want to put a slimmer Leupold 2X scope that I have on it or just run it open sights. I haven't hunted with a revolver for years and don't really plan on doing it any time soon.

If I don't put a scope back on it, I will have to find proper open sights to put back on it.

Thanks!

How about another suggestion, a red dot. I’m running a Trijicon RMR on my 629 that is a dedicated hunting pistol. I went with a red dot because I never could get comfortable using a scope on a handgun. It was one of those things that just never felt right. With my RMR though, I can comfortably take a 100yd on a hog or deer.

I recently bought a Contender in 7-30 Waters for deer hunting. I put a Leupold M8 4X on it and like it but I definitely have to use some sort of rest/bipod. That said, a RDS with a no more than 2MOA dot is a good setup.

I have a reflex sight on my GP100 and it has made a big difference. Actually, it's kinda hard to miss now; more a matter of group size, as opposed to being able to group at all with irons.

Jack Weigand makes mounts for the Redhawk
https://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html; well made, holds either a scope or reflex, and comes in black or silver (aluminum). You don't need a $500 sight either; spend enough, not too much. Have fun!

I have a 4X scope that I switch off mounting on my Ruger Mark II "Slabside" & my S&W 22/a
Using a scope on a handgun is fun - - for about an hour,,,,,then shooting itty bitty multi shot holes in paper @ 25 & 50 yards gets real boring real fast.

About the only real fun I ever had was pouring some coffee with sugar in it on the 50 eard backstop, That would attract big giant horse flies.
Those flies were too easy of a target, so, I'd shoot as close to them as I could - and watch through the scope to see them hunker down when the bullet whizzed by.

That killed another 15 minutes or so......

Anyhow - my $.02 is - if you have a real use for the scope - go for it.
IMHO - they remove too much of the challenge open sights bring to the range.

Revolver or semi auto.

I've owned at least a hundred different handguns in my life, maybe more. I shot major competitions for quite a few years and did very well at it. I'm also an avid handgun hunter. Years ago I put a scope on a couple of handguns and tried using them scoped. It didn't take too long to find out there are a LOT of drawbacks to scoped handguns. They're OK shooting off sandbags if you're just trying to find the best load for your gun. For standing shooting and/or hunting applications a scope is a major drawback. Put a red dot on the gun and you'll find out you can shoot it much better. A point of fact is that a red dot will work as well out to a hundred yards...or a bit further...as a scope. I've put red dots on a few different rifles and they were capable of shooting around 1.5moa out to a hundred and fifty yards or so. One of them was a 45-70, and it was very accurate. It never failed and recoil never bothered it. Do yourself a favor and at least try a red dot. You'll switch in a hurry after that.

Not all scopes can handle the recoil of a .44 mag.
If you do scope it research the scope first.

I always took a forked walking stick with me handgun hunting. It helped to steady it for a shot under varied situations. I also become attached to the walking stick and it helped me later on when the body aged.

There is no doubt a red dot is faster to line up and get a shot off. The illumination is helpful in low light and years ago was a hindrance in bright light but that has probably been corrected by now.

I assume the Redhawk still comes with a rib and top strap that accepts rings and allows for easy removal and installation. That really gives you the ability to use iron or whatever you want pretty easily.

When I was sighting in my Ruger Hunter many years ago, I brought a paper plate with a black 1 1/2 aiming circle on it with two holes in it to work one day. One at 25 yards and the other from 100. I think from that day onward my service manager never believed me when I told him it was shot with a handgun - even a scoped handgun. It really wasn't that hard.

I have a Leupold gold ring scope on my Redhawk 45C and its fun to shoot. I have thought about finding a way to mount a red dot on it though to loose some of the weight.

I've owned at least a hundred different handguns in my life, maybe more. I shot major competitions for quite a few years and did very well at it. I'm also an avid handgun hunter. Years ago I put a scope on a couple of handguns and tried using them scoped. It didn't take too long to find out there are a LOT of drawbacks to scoped handguns. They're OK shooting off sandbags if you're just trying to find the best load for your gun. For standing shooting and/or hunting applications a scope is a major drawback. Put a red dot on the gun and you'll find out you can shoot it much better. A point of fact is that a red dot will work as well out to a hundred yards...or a bit further...as a scope. I've put red dots on a few different rifles and they were capable of shooting around 1.5moa out to a hundred and fifty yards or so. One of them was a 45-70, and it was very accurate. It never failed and recoil never bothered it. Do yourself a favor and at least try a red dot. You'll switch in a hurry after that.
This about sums up my own experience. Tried scopes; hated them except shooting on a sandbag, which I never do. Red dot sights, however, can be great on revolvers, especially large ones like a Redhawk.

OK, I have two Redhawks and want to put a red dot on the .45 Colt.

What work is required, and cost, to mount a red dot on a Redhawk?

What are the better red dots for this application?

Blue1

I believe Weigand has mounts for your Redhawk. I personally use a Trijicon RMR and would 100% recommend it for handling the recoil. I’m actually thinking about a Vortex Venom on my GP100. Ive used other Vortex products with success and thought I’d give it a try.

Mr. Tettnager,

If it were me, I'd put regular sights back on!

Scopes on handguns can be nice. But to me they are much more limited to very precise target shooting or dedicated to hunting.

I enjoy shooting any handgun more with open sights than I do with a scope OR a red dot.

That being said. I THINK I have an orangish red insert, Ruger factory steel sight for the Redhawk, in like new condition that I don't need. They typically sell for around $15 minimum online/ebay. I'd give you a much better deal on mine if you wanted it. Then you just need a regular rear sight, and you're all set!

Either way... I'd go with iron sights... but that's a hard choice when you already have the scope.

I appreciate that offer mellow_c!

I ended up putting my Leupold scope on the Redhawk.

But....................I had an itch for the shorter barrel (5 1/2") version! I picked one up and instantly fell in love! I have since sold the longer 7 1/2' Redhawk! The new owner didn't want the scope, so I am trying to sell that.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies folks! i appreciate it!

Back